Jeep QuadraTrac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep QuadraTrac help

Hey all, new to the 4x4 world and hoping that someone local might be able to help me with my recently acquired 1978 Jeep Cherokee.

When I bought the Jeep, it came with the front drive shaft disconnected. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I've come to learn that is a bad thing for the QuadraTrac system.

I actually had it flat-bedded home, but I drove it for probably about 2 miles after I had a new brake master cylinder and exhaust installed. It eventually lost drive, and I had it towed back home. My understanding is that no front drive shaft will make it behave that way.

I'm not sure if the transfer case is toast at this point, but I'd like to at least hook up the QuadraTrac vacuum hoses to see if it will still run in Emergency Mode (from what I've read you can run without a front drive shaft in E-Mode without issue) and possibly install the front drive shaft to see if the 4WD works at all. I consider myself somewhat handy, but I think I might be in over my head trying to get this sorted. Does anyone know a shop well versed in older FSJs? I'd also be open to any forum members that might want to lend a helping hand, I have an excellent beer repayment system.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Drew

What part of town are you in?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
      What part of town are you in?
      I'm in Oakley

Comment

Call 875 3327. Talk to Terry
        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Quadratrac

Quadratrac is primarily a front wheel drive system with rear wheel drive assist via a chain and clutches inside the transfer case. I doubt the transfer case is damaged, although this may be possible. I would install the front drive shaft and run it. Changing the fluid with an additive is also a good recommendation.

The transfer case is simple to tear down and fix - much simpler than a gear drive in my opinion.

The most common thing with it is chain stretch.
          sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

Working...
          X