Anti-wrap idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carwash View Post
    i think the slip will fatigue and get sloppy quickly. I don't think most people realize just how much force is being exerted in the up and down direction from axle wrap. Think about the amount of force that it would take to wrap a spring... And it's just un-necessary... 1000's have been made with the shackle mount with perfect success.
    Carwash,

What size and type of tubing to you suggest for the track bar? Chance of getting to the swap meet looking any better?

Later
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

Traction Bars

Hows does that style of traction bar stop axle wrap? I would think that under the most severe cases of axle wrap, the pin going through the traction bar and shackle would just cause the shackle to rotate about the lower pin. I understand that shackle is in place to support articulation. In truck pulling we just hard mount (bolt or weld) the traction bar attaching point to the frame. Is that style of anti wrap bar just limiting the axle from rotating by limiting upward forces?

Comment

Originally posted by RD TRCTR View Post
        Hows does that style of traction bar stop axle wrap? I would think that under the most severe cases of axle wrap, the pin going through the traction bar and shackle would just cause the shackle to rotate about the lower pin. I understand that shackle is in place to support articulation. In truck pulling we just hard mount (bolt or weld) the traction bar attaching point to the frame. Is that style of anti wrap bar just limiting the axle from rotating by limiting upward forces?

These bars when built correctly stop almost all the rotation of the housing, the eye of the traction bar swings in a large arch if not hooked to the shackle. You have to remember that if the bottom shackle mount is in a fixed position and the wrap bar eye travels in one radius in relation to the diff center-line then it sees almost no front-to-back load ... only torsional..

I have had good luck by having a bit more angle on my shackle than in Sarges pictures, lets you control wrap even when the suspension is twisted up... if the shackle is too short or angled toward the back it can actually fold over on it's self and bind ... holding your spring packs in a wrapped condition!

Comment

Why not just add a short leaf in the spring pack if it's axle rapping?:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by maddhatter View Post
            Why not just add a short leaf in the spring pack if it's axle rapping?:confused:
            Big tires , SOA , high HP ..... A helper spring will not stop it from happening , you also will effect your ride height and flex. It's much easier to just add the anti-warp bar and forget about it .

On the original question . I also think the slip will wear out , my K-5 /cherokee ... what ever you want to call it would eat front DS slips on a regular basis , they would get very noisy and loose and I do not think they have any up/down force on them. My anti-warp bar lifts my whole jeep up when driving so I know there is tons of pressure on the top bar.

I understand that you want to do something diff. to make your Jeep stand out , but there come a time when K.I.S.S. has it's place.

Maybe you could do a triangulated anti-warp bar ---- this would be cool!

OK I'll step down off my soap box ....... I really need to go back to bed !!! Up way to late with a very up set Colrain Fire Fighter :(

Comment

if you want to do something different, search for the Bam Bar on JA.

Comment

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/

Comment

Originally posted by maddhatter View Post
                  I had to do a half leaf on my front springs to keep them from wrapping. It did work well.
                  91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
                    Up way to late with a very up set Colrain Fire Fighter :(
                    Rough day for anyone who serves the public in any way. Appreciate all you all do...
                    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by tjjeepjeep View Post
                      Rough day for anyone who serves the public in any way. Appreciate all you all do...
                      My brother-in-law was there when this happened. Needless to say he was a little shook up.

It's got to be hard enough when it's a stranger, can't imagine when it's somebody you know and work with.

Comment

What size tubing diameter and wall thickness is recommended for an antiwrap bar. Hopefully I can finds some for a decent prices locally. Probably need about 7-8 ft. DOM?

Later
                        Josh
                        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

i've heard of peeps going as thick as 1.5x .25 wall. that would hold up, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X