LS Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS Motor

Looking at doing a LS2 (6.0 truck ou of a 2007 Silverado). motor install in the Jeegy

I found one on eBay with 177k on it and it is a drop out complete with the system turn key for 3 wire hook. It comes with a 30 day warranty after the install date.

It was $2030 to my door with no core charge

Any concerns here? What about VSS. Anyone using a GPS module?

Also I would like block hugger manifolds with a center drop. Don’t know where to spice these at

Not a LS guy so any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Do you know the weight difference off the top of your head, iron block vs aluminum. I'm not sure how much I'd pay per kind of weight savings, but it would be something...
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
      Do you know the weight difference off the top of your head, iron block vs aluminum. I'm not sure how much I'd pay per kind of weight savings, but it would be something...
      Bout 70lbs

Scoggins-****ey catalog ppg181

LS Block reference Block only-

LS1/LS6 - Aluminum - 110#

LQ9/6.0L - Cast Iron - 170#

LS2 - Aluminum - 110#

LS3/L92 - Aluminum - 110#

LS7 - Aluminum - 110#

C5R - Aluminum - 120#

LSX - Cast Iron - 225#

LSX Tall Deck Cast Iron - 250#

Comment

Around 70 lbs and 70hp difference between a LS2 and a LQ4.

Comment

All great information!

Will do some more research tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

FYI, anything out of an Envoy or Trail Blazer will have a front sump.

Comment

I really have nothing to add over what has been said. Great advise for sure.

However I would like to add my 2 cents. I will start with i am cheap and I try to do everything with a budget in mind. So this might not be everyone's rout.

I would suggest going super cheap on the motor 5.3 or 6.0. I will say I am a fan of the 6.0 iron bock.

5.3 - Iron block cheap and available every where and can hold a ton of HP.

6.0 - A little more Displacement, Iron block (No need for aluminium) Fairly cheap if going with the LQ4.

BOTH - Buy the motor cheap and rebuild it with new everything other than crank (if its good) You now will have a brand new motor with more HP than stock LQ9 and some others motors mentioned for around 4k or less. It may not sound cheap now but after you buy a 2k motor and have in your mind that something may go wrong at any time is worth the upfront cost. Plus it will prob be the last time you think about the motor....

Lastly: Put a filter on the motor that is better than the normal K&N.

ALSO GO AUTO!!!!!!!!

lol This is just my thoughts... Right or wrong???

Comment

hmmm...all good thoughts. I think at this point I am going to try the Current Gen1 I have in it at Windrock and see how hot it runs there. The heat is my main issue right now and since I have moved the radiator I need to see what that does for cooling. If it is fixed then the LS route will not be the way for me at this pint in time. I still have 2 other Gen1's sitting in the garage that are good and spares.

What got me thinking was if I am going to have to swap motors anyways why not get an LS and be over and done with it.

BTW i am NOT going Auto..Old school is for me and I have always drove my Jeegy/jeeps with one. I feel you have more control, instantaneous power and less to worry about. IT may not be the fastest at spinning tires and less ability to finesse at times but these are 2 areas I am willing to give up.
                sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

Not trying to change your mind, but I've wheeled both auto and manual trucks, and I would never go to a stick again. Especially after watching manual guys "cough Jimmy cough" almost rolling or flipping over because of the roll back with a clutch. True I have to worry about overheating, but I don't have a clutch to smoke or a slave cylinder to fail. To me the biggest thing is being able to gas it the instant my foot leaves the brake. I can throw mine in reverse almost as quick as you can push in the clutch, all while keeping my foot on the brake. Way more control and less to worry about when you're in a an oh s**t situation as well. If you've never wheeled an auto, then you should try it and see for yourself. My .02...

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                    Not trying to change your mind, but I've wheeled both auto and manual trucks, and I would never go to a stick again. Especially after watching manual guys "cough Jimmy cough" almost rolling or flipping over because of the roll back with a clutch...

It must be scary and fun watching me.
                    No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post

It must be scary and fun watching me.
                      It's always entertaining. [emoji38]
                      No more balloon tires, so hopefully you won't be bouncing all over.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not trying to change your mind, but I've wheeled both auto and manual trucks, and I would never go to a stick again. Especially after watching manual guys "cough Jimmy cough" almost rolling or flipping over because of the roll back with a clutch. True I have to worry about overheating, but I don't have a clutch to smoke or a slave cylinder to fail. To me the biggest thing is being able to gas it the instant my foot leaves the brake. I can throw mine in reverse almost as quick as you can push in the clutch, all while keeping my foot on the brake. Way more control and less to worry about when you're in a an oh s**t situation as well. If you've never wheeled an auto, then you should try it and see for yourself. My .02...
                        you offering to let me drive your buggy when you get it done?
                        sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

Sure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We were talking about transmissions at Windrock. The gearing drop on your 2nd to 3rd is crazy. You need a gear between them. 2nd is too high and 3rd is too low. That's why launching is hard to do. Food for thought...

SM465 - Case length - 12"
                            First - 6.55:1
                            Second - 3.58:1
                            Third - 1.70:1
                            Fourth - 1.00:1
                            Reverse - 6.09:1

TH350 - Case length - 21 3/4"
                            1st - 2.52 : 1
                            2nd - 1.52 : 1
                            3rd - 1.00 : 1
                            Reverse - 2.07 : 1

TH400 - Case length - 24 3/8"
                            1st - 2.48 : 1
                            2nd - 1.48 : 1
                            R - 2.07 : 1

Comment

We were talking about transmissions at Windrock. The gearing drop on your 2nd to 3rd is crazy. You need a gear between them. 2nd is too high and 3rd is too low. That's why launching is hard to do. Food for thought...

SM465 - Case length - 12"
                              First - 6.55:1
                              Second - 3.58:1
                              Third - 1.70:1
                              Fourth - 1.00:1
                              Reverse - 6.09:1

TH350 - Case length - 21 3/4"
                              1st - 2.52 : 1
                              2nd - 1.52 : 1
                              Reverse - 2.07 : 1

TH400 - Case length - 24 3/8"
                              1st - 2.48 : 1
                              2nd - 1.48 : 1
                              R - 2.07 : 1
                              Keep in mind that it's not really apples to apples when looking at the ratios between an auto and manual transmission. You need to factor in the torque converter ratio. In general you typically at least double the ratio, meaning that the TH350 or TH400 is closer to a 5:1 ratio. The way I always explain it is you get a much broader range of ratios (i.e. wheel speed) from just one gear in the transmission because of how the torque converter varies.....from a start/launch you get the 5:1 crawling ability but can then seamlessly get a the wheel speed of the 2.5:1 gearing with no shifting at all. Of course on top of that the auto can even upshift into a higher gear in a middle of an obstacle without losing all of your momentum and engine rpm.

Comment

Working...
                              X