Jim's Buggy Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim's Buggy Build

The XJ buggy is going to be retired soon after ~13 years of wheeling it. While rig has served me well I would like this rig to do the following:
    • Be alot more comfortable on the trail, i.e. have some uptravel in the suspension and not beat you up on every bump
      allowing me to hit obstacles or drive down main trails with speed.
    • Get rid of the weak points. -Dana 300 and 1310 driveshaft yokes, whats left of the unibody, plus make servicing the rig easier. I'm tired of cutting off and re-welding suspension crossmembers and skidplates to access the driveline.
    • Lose some weight - target weight is as close to 3000 lbs as possible, realistically probably ~3300 lbs while not spending money on high dollar low weight parts like aluminum engines, fabbed axle housings, ect.

Specs:
    Chassis -Goatbuilt JHF chassis (target wheelbase ~109" -same as current rig) 4 link front and rear.
    Drivetrain -5.3/4l60e from a 2000 silverado
    TransferCase -Atlas
    Axles- Chevy D60 and 14bolt from current XJ buggy (regeared to 5.38)
    Wheels and tires- 40" treps and racelines from my current rig
    Shocks -ORI's 14" fronts 16" rears (the most common shock lengths I have seen on this chassis)

Target completion date spring 2019

Building the Chassis:

The JHF chassis is very well engineered and layed out. Without a chassis table I was able to assemble the entire chassis by myself in less than a full weekend while the wife was out of town. I think I could have finished this step in ~10 hours if I had a good helper.

I would recommend having a helper for the assembly as it was very frustrating trying to align and square up the makeshift build platform and the frame rails without help. I probably spent 3-4 hours on these 2 steps alone.

Picture of the build platform and the framerails

picture of the framerails and the JIG (mostly assembled) that helps align and locate the tubes during assemlby.

Picture of the chassis with the Jig

Picture of the chassis Jig removed (Missing the rear shock hoops, vertical dash supports and subframe)

Chassis tucked away in the garage until I get a chance to work on it again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

Cant wait to see this wrapped up!

Ive noticed a lot of folks on CORE going with the ORI's over a the traditional coilover setup....what was the deciding factor in ORI vs CO's? Assuming the shocks will be mounted at the axle and not a trailing arm setup?

Also, what kind of contraption you build on top of the barbie jeep?!?!?
        1985 4runner "Redneck Gigalo"

Comment

Does Drew offer a buyback or "rental" program on the jig? Seems that would be beneficial for both the intial buyer and the future buyer....assuming its not bent/tweaked. The JHF chassis are gaining popularity fast!

Comment

Originally posted by bbtank45 View Post
            Does Drew offer a buyback or "rental" program on the jig? Seems that would be beneficial for both the intial buyer and the future buyer....assuming its not bent/tweaked. The JHF chassis are gaining popularity fast!
            Drew is not offering a buyback program yet, I don't know if he will. a buyback program would probably require him to do a quality check on returned jigs and the shipping costs might kill it anyway, that Jig is heavy and has lots of pieces, many of which you have to "knock out" with a punch, using both pieces for assemlby! I split the cost of the jig with Justin (doworkxj on this board) who also bought a JHF chassis at the same time. He will be using the jig after I am done.

jim

Comment

That "contraption" turns a powerwheels jeep into an Ice-Cream truck. My father-inlaw built that after our son built his own ice-cream truck contraption out of cardboard on the powerwheels. He really likes driving that down the street and "selling" ice-cream and popscicles to the other kids.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by beer_goggles_009 View Post
                That "contraption" turns a powerwheels jeep into an Ice-Cream truck. My father-inlaw built that after our son built his own ice-cream truck contraption out of cardboard on the powerwheels. He really likes driving that down the street and "selling" ice-cream and popscicles to the other kids.

jim
                Entrepreneurship at youth....hes off to a good start

Comment

Looking Really good Jim. Excited to see the progress
                  No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Ive noticed a lot of folks on CORE going with the ORI's over a the traditional coilover setup....what was the deciding factor in ORI vs CO's? Assuming the shocks will be mounted at the axle and not a trailing arm setup?

For me the decision to go with ori's was about simplicity. With ORIs I don't need bumpstops or sway bars and they seem to work well right out of the box. I believe after tuning coilovers will offer better performance but I'm not competing at high speed so the performance improvement isn't worth the hastle.

In my opinion the biggest pitfall of ORIs is a seal failure or piston damage will result in an unsupported corner of your rig and the end of a trip.

With coilovers, a damaged seal would only result in the loss of damping control and ridenquality you can continue to wheel.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Interested to hear the thoughts of others who chose to use ORIs?

Comment

Looks great Jim. Can't go wrong with a JHF chassis. Don't be surprised if you come in a bit heavier than you are hoping. My buggy was 3900 lbs wet without me in it. Stuff ads up quick.
                        Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Making more progress interior panels and dash are installed.

Comment

Looks awesome Jim! Question though, what are you doing for a front bumper? I noticed you and I have pretty much the same frame setup. I've been pondering what I should do for a bumper.

Comment

This is how my chassis is going to be finished with a winch mount at the front. It's part of the jhf chassis kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X