Big Rock wheeling labor day weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WrenchMonkey's Wisdom of the Day:

It's hard to tell how deep mud is, just by looking at it...

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

So the NAXJA guys showed up first:

By the time we got all the doors off and stacked on my trailer, it looked like a flea market...

Headed down the trail

With the CORE hangers-on

Until... Trouble!

So we all got out to watch...

As Nick got to work clearing the way and saving the day:

And we were off again.

By the way, look at the damn sexy XJ...

Jerry nosing down the waterfall:

And El Presidente following:

Then heading back up the other side, CattyChick in tow.

With a hulking blue Yota hot on his heels.

Meanwhile, the NAXJA guys were busy breaking stuff...

Comment

Here I'm missing a bunch of pics. I buried mine up to the rockers, trying to help some kid on a quad. Nick busted a D30 shaft, too, so we took turns running up and down "Jeep Hill" while he changed it.

We finally made our way back to the gnarley creekbed/hillclimb that Nick has dubbed "Bypass." It was rough enough that I didn't get a chance for any pics, til this group shot of the ones who made it:

Coming back down was gutentite, especially for Tom's MJ

Shameless poser flex shot while I waited my turn:

Comment

Then back into the creek, where we promptly put Nick back to work.

And finally up to the lookout, for another pretty poser shot...

Before the neighborhood went straight to hell...

Yes, I think Scott is picking his nose.

Robert

Comment

Had a great time at Big Rock yesterday. Trails were great. WidowMaker, well , that was something else. My knees shook for an hour. Thanks All!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
              WrenchMonkey's Wisdom of the Day:

It's hard to tell how deep mud is, just by looking at it...

Robert
              I see what you mean.

The top of Widowmaker,way steeper than it looks .

The rest of my pics.. http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/d...20sept%202010/

Nick
              Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
              Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Thanx Comanchedude for saving my ass on the way home, would not have made it the rest of the way without your help..!! Hope U made it home on time..

Sorry I stole your bottle jack Robert (or tried too), if it wasn't for my 2nd blowout I'd prolly still have it..

I had no fluid left in my X-fer case, may have boiled out from making the viscus coupler angry, not a drop came out when I pulled the drain plug.

Gonna dump the 6 BFGs I have left as I lost all faith in them.

I'm gonna be down for a while, have to find out why my front gears pop too (mostly in reverse), everything looked fine and no metal came out when I changed the gear oil so bearings may be worn or..??

Big Rock kicked my ass hard, I had a blast, definitely in my top 3 places to wheel..
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about your tire luck, Jer.

I've split one BFG sidewall in four years of wheeling, and Sams gave me a new KM2 to to replace it. The "2" is supposed to be a lot tougher, I'll get a whole set when I can afford em, tax return maybe.

What happened on the way home? Just the Tcase?

Pulling the stuff off the GPS this morning, it looks like Widowmaker climbs about 175 feet, in less than a hundred yards.

I'm glad I did it, but I still don't think I'll do it again!

Robert

Comment

I see you guys found the back way into the hill you were talking about Nick. Did you guys go up it as well? I agree with you on Widowmaker Robert. I've been up it but not sure if I'd do it again (I could probably be talked into it ;)). My leg was shaking pretty good when I got to the top (see roll bar cam video )

Looks like you guys had fun. Wish I could have made it.

Ian
                    Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

widowmaker was a rush. great day of wheeling and awsome weather. good bunch of people too.

robert if you look close that is actually chatty girl picking my nose
                      One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Sorry about your tire luck, Jer.

I've split one BFG sidewall in four years of wheeling, and Sams gave me a new KM2 to to replace it. The "2" is supposed to be a lot tougher, I'll get a whole set when I can afford em, tax return maybe.

What happened on the way home? Just the Tcase?

Robert
                        It's all part of the hobby man, I had allot of fun and that's what matters most, it's not my DD so can set for a while.

My TC was pissed off cuz of different sized tires all around, the VC heated up then locked both diffs at same RPM (all wheel drive sux), had to remove my front DS to get home and I didn't have the proper tools to do it, Tom saved me a long walk home for sure.

I got my BFGs off Craigslist so have no warranty, I only paid like 250 bux for the 4 so was a good deal as they have allot of tread left. I rolled 32" BFG Mud terrains from brand new and not had that problem, still have them in the basement but pretty bald now. I poked a hole in one rolling over a metal fence post but other than that those 32s held up great.

Comment

Great pictures and videos!

Comment

Damn. We talked about that as you were pulling out of the lot, that you had said you were gonna pull the shaft, and nobody saw you do it.

Oh well, glad you got home okay.

(If something worse hits next time, Nick and Tom have my cell, and I'll drag it home for you if need be. Hell, 513 256 5968, now EVERYBODY's got it. )

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by D4mm1t View Post
                              Thanx Comanchedude for saving my ass on the way home, would not have made it the rest of the way without your help..!! Hope U made it home on time..

Sorry I stole your bottle jack Robert (or tried too), if it wasn't for my 2nd blowout I'd prolly still have it..

I had no fluid left in my X-fer case, may have boiled out from making the viscus coupler angry, not a drop came out when I pulled the drain plug.

Gonna dump the 6 BFGs I have left as I lost all faith in them.

I'm gonna be down for a while, have to find out why my front gears pop too (mostly in reverse), everything looked fine and no metal came out when I changed the gear oil so bearings may be worn or..??

Big Rock kicked my ass hard, I had a blast, definitely in my top 3 places to wheel..
                              That is why I won't run a radial "street tire" for offroading! It gets way too expensive to replace $400 in tires all the time! TSL-SX all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                                robert if you look close that is actually chatty girl picking my nose
                                That's kinda what I thought, but Lisa didn't really strike me as that much of a "Full Service" co-pilot! I'm impressed!

Originally posted by KennyTJ View Post
                                That is why I won't run a radial "street tire" for offroading! It gets way too expensive to replace $400 in tires all the time! TSL-SX all the way!
                                I've split one BFG sidewall in four years of wheeling, and Sams gave me a new KM2 to replace it.

Robert
                                Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X