Rush September 2nd -4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waffle
    Since I've never set up a ring and pinion nor have I ever used the instruments needed to properly set and adjust backlash, I'd be more than happy to learn how using your diff.
    Will let ya know when I'm ready, I will be showing my boy and his buddy in the process, I quit using dual indicators years ago and only break it out when I'm setting up a diff that will be run on the street. For Hardcore offroad use you have to setup with the least amount of backlash possible without binding Ring and pinion. This helps keep em from breaking under shock load conditions.
    No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Not looking good for me on that weekend as it's my wife's birthday.....don't think she would appreciate me leaving town.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
        Not looking good for me on that weekend as it's my wife's birthday.....don't think she would appreciate me leaving town.
        Depends on what you buy her for her b day...

Comment

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
          Will let ya know when I'm ready, I will be showing my boy and his buddy in the process, I quit using dual indicators years ago and only break it out when I'm setting up a diff that will be run on the street. For Hardcore offroad use you have to setup with the least amount of backlash possible without binding Ring and pinion. This helps keep em from breaking under shock load conditions.
          Mine are always to spec, and have never failed. You sure yours aren't getting too hot?

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
            Depends on what you buy her for her b day...

Comment

Mine are always to spec, and have never failed. You sure yours aren't getting too hot?
              No chance of getting hot..ha ha ha!!! This is my last pinion after 10 years of wheeling, 5 of those years were on 39.5..with the style wheeling that we do our gears never spin fast enough for long enough to generate enough heat to expand to cause any damage. This a significant increase in strength in any differential if setup tighter than factory. If I set em to factory specs it will not last long and will break sooner. Changing your diff grease at least 1 time a year and inspecting backlash and metal on plug keeps you aware of what's going on in there.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have a better picture somewhere of my pinion where it shows all of the stress cracks where all of the teeth are ready to break off, the less contact the gears have "less backlash " the lest contact point the ring and pinion have...but you have to be careful not to cross the line and go too deep and cause binding.

Comment

I bet they get warm at windrock. That hill is a mother...

Comment

That's the first time I've heard somebody say to set the gears up tighter than spec for off-road use. Not saying it's wrong or right and understand the theory about the shock loading, but also concerned it could cause other issues. I've always set mine up to factory specs but have also always kept it street legal and therefore need to be able to run down the road at reasonable speed (majority of trails I have ran over the years required some street driving to, or between, trails).....my road speed is only limited by the unbalanced and trail scarred 40" TSL's.

Comment

I second the "set them up tight" mantra. Drag racers also set them up tight for the same reasons. I ran the gears on my built stock axles set up slightly tighter than spec, setup by a professional who drag raced. They are still around about 7 years (on and off-road use) after initial setup on someone elses rig. And you guys know that I beat the hell out of that set of axles.

Comment

Gotta see if I can get off of work.. Stupid AutoZone.. Gonna try my best.

Comment

Not sure how many seats will be there yet. Its not looking good. Thought you had a sxs of some sort?
                          No. I sold it last fall.

Comment

Come on out anyway. What do you have to lose? Many people are saying this is going to be the best time that weekend. Many people! Trust me, nobody will break. Nobody! And nobody knows this better than me, honestly. I went to the ACME school of fabrication so I have a very good brain. It's going to be the best time ever I promise you that. It's true. It's going to be Yuge! Rush guys are amazing I'm telling you. I could stand in the middle of the trail and nobody would run me over. Amazing. And I'm calling for a total and complete shutdown of all dirt bikes and sand rails from entering Rush. They're not bringing their best. They're bringing litter. They're bringing noise pollution. They're sneaking in from side trails and not paying their entrance fees and some, I assume, are ok. It's time to get tough, big league! Rush is your mud and rock leader and only Rush can fix it. We're bringing mud back. We're bringing rocks back. More importantly, we're bringing fun back.

Make offroad great again!
                            Excellent

Comment

Come on out anyway. What do you have to lose? Many people are saying this is going to be the best time that weekend. Many people! Trust me, nobody will break. Nobody! And nobody knows this better than me, honestly. I went to the ACME school of fabrication so I have a very good brain. It's going to be the best time ever I promise you that. It's true. It's going to be Yuge! Rush guys are amazing I'm telling you. I could stand in the middle of the trail and nobody would run me over. Amazing. And I'm calling for a total and complete shutdown of all dirt bikes and sand rails from entering Rush. They're not bringing their best. They're bringing litter. They're bringing noise pollution. They're sneaking in from side trails and not paying their entrance fees and some, I assume, are ok. It's time to get tough, big league! Rush is your mud and rock leader and only Rush can fix it. We're bringing mud back. We're bringing rocks back. More importantly, we're bringing fun back.

Make offroad great again!
                              Ok Mr. "Trump" Waffle....
                              I pretty sure you loosing it...

Comment

My dad and I will be there, I got off work!! hopefully a lot show up.

Comment

Working...
                                X