Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > Tech and How-To
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #26
jwend
Did I offend you?

Send a message via AIM to jwend
Imho, I think that any loss on the trail to a part that cost a little less than a part that almost completely eliminates the chance of a brake is kinda silly, for a little more money to buy the superior part and know you are good is worth alot of money to me. Think you waste one part you had the money to buy the jj's. I dont know about you but I drive a good ways to go wheeling and if i drove 4 or 6 hours to ride took the rig out for a little and broke wasting a shock and god knows what else to turn around and come home I would be pissed at myself for not spending a little more. I know it prob doesn't mean much but thats my thought.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #27
carwash
pimpin' IS easy

Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
That's a good option.... the uppers see a lot less lateral stress, it's more linear, as they dont come in contact much with the rocks, etc.

But I would still get good heims for your uppers, don't do some $15 jobs... you will be sorry.

carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
Redriverranger
White ranger guy

I like Currie johnny joints. I am not a big fan of some of the other look-alikes. I also run the trail gear joints, but think they loosened up a bit. The curries will survive for a long time. I also run heims. I broke one on a trac bar once, and one on a front control arm. The control arm one caused some other damage. After that point, I only buy very strong heims. A little extra expense for good joints with a very high static load rating is worth hundreds to me. My point is, either johnnies or heims are fine, just don't skimp on either. The lowers in my opinion should never have smaller than a 1" shank. 3/4" shank is fine for uppers. I run a mixture of 1 1/4" and 1" shank lowers, 1" shank uppers.
91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character
Redriverranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
carwash
pimpin' IS easy

Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
I have heard very bad things from quite a few peeps about the trail gear joints loosening up almost immediately. Noisy as hell and slacky slop in them.

I agree whole heartedly, whatever you go with, don't skimp.

carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #30
biggin69
Really???

Bad News!!! I placed an order with Currie today and they called me and said that all Johnny Joints are on backorder until the end of May!!!

Whos joints should I buy now?
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #31
bgwyllys61
fullwidthxj

Ive been running the Ballistic joints for about a year, on my upper control arm, the only issue ive had is them loosening up a bit, but, you just tighten the preload back down and forget about it, just make sure to keep them greased up
bgwyllys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #32
bgwyllys61
fullwidthxj

if you need them to be adjustable, try these http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1636.html

ive been running these with no problems, other than a tad bit of slop that i took out when i tightened them back down, basically the same joint as above, just no threaded stud
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1226.html
bgwyllys61 is offline   Reply With Quote