Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > Tech and How-To
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
yellowjacket
barely breathing

welding advice

Mig welding, and weld is very porous.. as if not getting sheilding gas. Getting gas to nozzle. Its tsc 75/25 like I always get. Gauges have long since quit working but I've got a good handle on my flow settings and don't think I'm too hi or low.

So I take regulator off and crack tank a few times. Looks like light fog/ moistur comin out when I crack it. But I've never had to crack one so maybe this look is normal? It is a newer tank( last week). You see where I'm heading and pointin at, ...am I on right track or missin somthin here. Nozzle tip liner all good shape btw. I got vicadin and jack in me but I don't think that's the prob either. Just seems like a gas prob

Thoughts?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
carwash
pimpin' IS easy

Send a message via AIM to carwash Send a message via Yahoo to carwash
Only one way to be sure is to get another bottle. Porous weld sounds like shielding gas issue for sure. The fog you see can be quick condensation due to pressure release, etc. If you had no issue until you switched yer tank, then I'd say it's yer tank.

carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
yellowjacket
barely breathing

Workin for now... just some finish work but holes in the welds ain't gonna cut it. I cracked it few more times. Had to griind some out and reweld. Ten more minuited of weldin. Come on baby, stay with me! Lol
Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
pfreer3
Old Newb

X2 on the shielding gas, did you try more/less gas? Maybe if the concentrations off, more would help.

Wright brothers closer to you in Florence? I've never had a problem with them, or Weldco up in Cinci for gas. I never even thought to check TSC for gas.
pfreer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
GPER

Have you always been running gas shielding???? If not have you changed the polarity on the welder????? Do you have a fan blowing, inside or outside?????
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
yellowjacket
barely breathing

Nah none of that. Same welder and setup for close to 8 years, never a prob before. It started doin good again but I'm still confused. We shall see I guess. Bottle is only recent variable..
Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
oklahomawelder
Tradin' Fool

Rob, It is probably a shielding gas issue. whether you have gotten some bad gas, your cup/tip is partially stopped, too much or too little flow through your meter, wind blowing thru the shop, fan blowing or even if you have a big gap in the area you are welding you could get a draft thru it and be blowing your gas away....
The only other thing it could be is if you have some oil or something on the area you are welding, that could cause contamination of the weld.

DO NOT leave the welds with porosity in them. IF you get holes, grind the weld out completely until it is clean and free of holes.
oklahomawelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Nuts

You said you were full of vics and Jack so are you sure you weren't drifting too far away from the puddle?Not sure what wire size or settings you are running but anything more than an inch is pushing it with hard wire. If the metal you are welding on is dirty,rusty or,oily it'll have porosity. Also if its a big gap you are trying to fill both sides of the steel need to be clean. How long has that roll of wire sat since you last used it? Its usually a problem with flux cored wires that sit or awhile,they'll soak up moisture from the air and then the entire spool is pretty much junk.
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
yellowjacket
barely breathing

Yeah clean metal , not oily. Yup had to grind them back out and redo. A couple I just let ride. I'm sure jwend will find them. But this is gonna be dragged on the rocks not a show queen so idrc.
Yup wire was same spool for a few weeks. Medicine may have played a part,but bead looked really good exept for holes. Took me till three in morn to finish, scotch brite it, and wipe it down. Back to doc for my back at 9am. Came home and painted it. Well helped my bro in law paint I mean. It must have been the gas
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
jwend
Did I offend you?

Send a message via AIM to jwend
I'm sure jwend will find them. But this is gonna be dragged on the rocks not a show queen so idrc.

See now i try and leave you alone and you drag me into another thread... I am not the one that started the weld bashing.... OH and i ran out of paint touching up my cage and links.. did you have any left over????
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
GPER

A friend at work smears so JB weld over it to make it look pretty on the gps mounts in the bulldozers. It lasted a day and I rewelded it and still give him a hard time about it
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote