So I'm looking for an off-road GPS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
    but but but - do they export squiggles???

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Well, I was all set on a Garmin 60CSX, til a guy on NAXJA posted a link to the Bushnell ONIX400 on woot for $78. I couldn't pass that up. Bigger screen, better resolution, etc... And did I mention $78?

The website software isn't especially user-friendly, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to download maps directly to my laptop. But I did manage to download them from the site to the unit, and then reload them back to the laptop from there.

That said, here's their view of BigRock Offroad, that I want to map out:

At maximum resolution:

And since the XJ still isn't mapping anything but the garage, this is the "trail" it recorded on my way out to lunch:

You get four free downloads with registration. After that, they're like a buck a piece. The low-res map of BigRock is one, the hi-res is another, but only covers about 10% as much area. I'm guessing I'll need nine hi-res downloads to cover it all. Then another layer for the topography.

I'm lovin' it. Now I just need to pry myself away from it long enough to get the Jeep done, so I can take it out and really use it.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Robert

Comment

Good find
        1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
        5.14 tcase
        36" TSL SX

Comment

Thanks, I'm tickled...

For clarification: $1 per download. 90 days, unlimited downloads, $20. One year, unlimited, $30.

Robert

Comment

I saw that one, and passed because of the bad reviews on it. Have you used it in the field yet? Just wondering, I've seen them on WOOT a couple times.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pfreer3 View Post
              I saw that one, and passed because of the bad reviews on it...
              Sorta sorry to hear that. Anything in particular?

Robert

Edit: I found these: http://www.gpsreview.net/bushnell-onix-400-cr/

Mostly re: the XM (which I don't care about) and the map downloads (which I mentioned, but figured out myself...)

Anything else? Just curious what I'm in for!
              Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                That's exactly my goal.

I got most of 491 mapped out last year, combining what you could see in google earth with what I saw driving the park. It was slow, tedious, and inaccurate, but it worked for a place that size.

Now I want to tackle BigRock. It's going to require bigger and better tools than I'm used to, but it can certainly be done.

And even if means wheeling all summer, I'm willing to make the sacrifice to get it done!

Robert

We have it all mapped out from last year. I know a couple different guys have it on the GPS. I'll see what I can get together.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                  Sorta sorry to hear that. Anything in particular?

Robert

Edit: I found these: http://www.gpsreview.net/bushnell-onix-400-cr/

Mostly re: the XM (which I don't care about) and the map downloads (which I mentioned, but figured out myself...)

Anything else? Just curious what I'm in for!
                  From what I've read of them, just basically difficult to use (downloadable maps in particular). They also use a proprietary map format that no other gps company uses, which can further complicate matters. I think in terms of just wanting to shoot out coordinates, it will probably be fine.

I saw them on Woot also ... and then got an advert from Meijer's that had them on sale there for same price as Woot. I've decided that I'm going to save up for a Delorme PN-40 for my next one.

I'm not sure on how accurate you want to be with your mapping, but if you've got a buddy with another gps, I'd take him along also for confirmation of readings or you could compare w/ other previous gps maps.
                  '02 TJ 2.5l 5-speed, "Red"
                  '98 XJ 4.0l Auto, "Black Dog"

Comment

Working...
                  X