No announcement yet.

Before & After - My 1993 K1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have both a regular cab and extended cab 1st gen trucks. I can get you measurements of them if you want. I would sell the extended cab if you are interested. It is just a body, no frame. The bed was shortened to fit the wheelbase on a k5 frame.

Comment

• Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
      Cab front? The leading edge of the bottom of the door?

Like this?
      Cab front or where ever the tire would rub minus the fender.
      Last edited by 93 Krawler; 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ky Mudhunter View Post
        I have both a regular cab and extended cab 1st gen trucks. I can get you measurements of them if you want. I would sell the extended cab if you are interested. It is just a body, no frame. The bed was shortened to fit the wheelbase on a k5 frame.
        I'm looking for a 2nd gen, but the measurements should be close. If you could get some measurements that would be great.

Comment

• I figured you might be looking for 2nd gen. That's why I would sell the ext cab. I am putting a 2nd gen S10 blazer body on the K5 frame.

I'll try to get some measurement tonight if I don't forget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ky Mudhunter View Post
            I have both a regular cab and extended cab 1st gen trucks. I can get you measurements of them if you want. I would sell the extended cab if you are interested. It is just a body, no frame. The bed was shortened to fit the wheelbase on a k5 frame.
            Just for reference purposes.

Stock wheelbase for extended cab S-10 (1st and 2nd gen) is 122.9".

The factory K5 wheelbase is 106.5" in regards to the picture above with an extended cab S-10 on a K5 frame, and assuming he kept the axles in the same location.

Assuming you want to keep it pretty low the front axle will need to be stretched forward quite a bit to clear the firewall with 39.5" tires, plus it will help with approach angles. I think you will be able to stay right around 117" but probably won't have a lot of play room without getting into the cab with either the front or rear tires.

Comment

• Brad, yes the axles were kept in stock location. The cab was positioned so that front axle was moved forward about 6" from stock S10. The front of the bed was shortened and the cab corners were cut to clear the rear tires. FYI those are 38's on it in that pic.

Comment

• My cab is 57". I betting the extendo cab is going to be too big.
                This is what i'm thinking minus the rockwells and the bars across the doors.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04166.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	71924

Comment

• Reg cab is 54" and the ext cab is 69" for the 1st gen trucks.

Comment

• His extended cab is 68.5" from the back of the cab to the lip of the front fender, measured along the rocker.

That's 20.5 for the extended cab, 44 for the door, and 4 for the fender.

There's probably a couple inches to be gained between that lip and the front corner of the actual cab, but I couldn't verify without pulling out the fender liner.
                    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

• Lets do some math. I currently have 21" between the rear of the cab and the rear tire. If I move the front forward 4.5", the rear goes the same to keep my 117". Now I have 16.5" between. subtract another 12" for the ext cab and now I have 4" between. I could probably cheat 1-2" from the front since the cab isn't as wide and the cab mounts should be different. It will clear, but won't it look weird with the cab that close in the rear. I know, I can cut the cab down so it's the same size as my cab. I don't know if I'll like the cab being 3" smaller. There's barely enough leg room now. I'd have to sit at a 90 degree angle... I need to sit in a reg cab and see.

Comment

• Wait, why are you moving the front forward 4.5"? You don't hit now, do you?

If your cab is 57", and you've got 21" rear clearance, a 68" cab will leave 10". Probably more, since 68 was to the fender, and you'll certainly gain some there.

Comment

• Ah, gotcha.

But that wouldn't necessarily move the tires farther from the cab. Unless the 5.3 is right against the firewall, you could move the cab up too. Figure you're probably already looking at a custom trans tunnel.

Comment

• I guess I'm asking if the front of the S10 cab has to stay right where the front of the 1500 cab is.

Since the axle is moving forward, there will be room to move the cab forward without running into tire clearance issues.

The limit becomes the firewall hitting the engine. I don't know how much room there is to play with there.

Comment

• He'll have to do tunnel work regardless to fit the trans
                              Why does he need to do tunnel work? The stock S10 tunnel will clear a turbo 350 or 700r4 with no mods. My truck clears an NV4500 with only a 1" body lift and that is mostly because of the way I did my twin stick shifters.

Comment

• Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                                Wait, why are you moving the front forward 4.5"? You don't hit now, do you?
                                My tires do rub the frame and body mount a little at full stuff while turning. If I never planned to go bigger than a 39.5, then I would only move the axle forward 1". But, if I do want to a 43, I want the clearance to do so. I guess I'd only have to move it forward 3" or so, it depends on how the frame is for the s10. I might only have to go 2". That will still make the rear around 7-8" between. Still doesn't sound like much...

Comment

Working...
                                X