No announcement yet.

Gooseneck flatbed trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not trying to argue your point because I do think it has merit (It is always better to have too much trailer than not enough), I think you are forgetting about the weight transfer to the truck in your assessment of the weight carrying capacity and the axle spread of the trailer. I can only speak for the trailer I have (1997 OTM). The label carrying capacity of the trailer is 12K pounds. I have see a few longer trailers with single wheels (two axles) that has rated capacities of 18,000 lbs. At the time, I thought to myself, there is no way that the trailer can carry any more weight then mine because it has the same axles (and E rated tires to boot!!!). The only explanation I have is that the trailer has a different weight distribution to the axles and the truck to not overload the axles.

I do think this is too much weight for e-rated tires. An E-rated tire is generally rated for around 3,200 lbs. I went through a few tires (granted mine were old and needed replaced anyway, I think this was 99% of the problem). When I finally broke down and got new tires, I went with G rated tires rated at 3,750 lbs per tire.

Again, I am not trying to argue with anyone. Just adding to this discussion (which I think is a very informative discussion).
    1976 CJ 5
    1984 CJ 7
    1993 K3500 GMC 6.5 TD

Comment

Originally posted by tbshakie View Post
      I'm not trying to argue your point because I do think it has merit (It is always better to have too much trailer than not enough), I think you are forgetting about the weight transfer to the truck in your assessment of the weight carrying capacity and the axle spread of the trailer. I can only speak for the trailer I have (1997 OTM). The label carrying capacity of the trailer is 12K pounds. I have see a few longer trailers with single wheels (two axles) that has rated capacities of 18,000 lbs. At the time, I thought to myself, there is no way that the trailer can carry any more weight then mine because it has the same axles (and E rated tires to boot!!!). The only explanation I have is that the trailer has a different weight distribution to the axles and the truck to not overload the axles.

I do think this is too much weight for e-rated tires. An E-rated tire is generally rated for around 3,200 lbs. I went through a few tires (granted mine were old and needed replaced anyway, I think this was 99% of the problem). When I finally broke down and got new tires, I went with G rated tires rated at 3,750 lbs per tire.

Again, I am not trying to argue with anyone. Just adding to this discussion (which I think is a very informative discussion).

are are correct, i did neglect the weight transfer to the truck. My mistake.

i know on a tag trailer you should have roughly 10% tongue weight, but what about a GN trailer? home much weight should be put on the truck? I usually neglect this when i load up, as i load how it fits usually as it only fits one way in the trailer.
      beat up rusted out k5

Comment

The quick Google I did said 25%. So yeah, another 3000# capacity...
        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I dont know if that link will show up but my friend Brian just said he had 24ft GN Deckover for $2200 it looks good. Sounded like a good price on it so I figured I would pass it along

Comment

Working...
          X