Local transmission shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
    Ha! Sorry, I hate it when people leave you hangin...

Got it back, been driving it a few days. It seems to be shifting fine, I guess time will tell.

Would I recommend them? Yeah, I guess.

Their $1350 quote turned into $2500 by the time they were done, including the $100 tow. Guy explained (or claimed?) that every moving part in it was either seized, scored, or shattered. I knew there were issues beyond a typical rebuild, so I can't call him a liar. He offered to help find another used one to do a basic rebuild on, but it would've been just as expensive, and this way I got all new internals, including a valve body he says he didn't charge me for.

So I dunno. If he did everything he said, I think it was very fair. I wasn't in a position to watch it come apart, or go back together, or even see the parts they replaced. So it's not really fair for me to question what they did or didn't do.

But I still got a little of that "Did I get hosed?" feeling...
    When the one went out in my van, I had planned on rebuilding it. I tore it down and it was trashed. The case was junk, and metal was pushed through everything. That is why I bought that awesome pos monster trans. If it was anything like mine was, then yeah, big bucks to replace all the stuff new. You will never know, just think they did.

Comment

I guess even at $2,500 you are pretty close to what most other places would have charged for a basic rebuild. On the positive side as long as it stays together and continues to shift fine it's not like you are out much extra money.

How many miles did the trans have on it?

Comment

That sounds about right unfortunately. Hopefully this is the last time you have to worry about it though
        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Working...
        X