Balance A Super Swamper I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffK5 View Post
    dip new stem in Dawn dish soap and wrestle that ***** back in.

You pushed the valve stem from the outside into the wheel? A standard one like this https://www.expeditionexchange.com/air/air002%20006.jpg ??

I diddnt think that was possible.
    88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

it is indeed possible, just takes some work.

Comment

Yep..

It wasn't easy.. but it seemed easier than removing each wheel and breaking at least one bead.

I just modified a large cheap-o screw driver tip into a "V" shape as a tool, did a little smoothing with a file to make sure it wouldn't cut the stem and spent maybe 10 minutes a wheel.

Comment

I've seen it done on the trail after one getting tore off by a rock.

Comment

I picked up a jug of steel BB's at wal mart today.

I think I can easily load them through the valve stem, with the valve core removed.

According to wikipidia, the internal threads on a standard schrader valve is 5.3mm. The BB's are 4.5mm.

The bottle they come in has a cylindrical loader as a cap...

I'm going to try and load them through this bottle. If that doesnt work, I'll rig up some sort of proper diameter tube and a funnel.

Now I just have to find some way to measure and weigh out grams....dont have any scales.

I just hope this helps me. Not sure it will though. I have a pretty good shimmy as she gets up to speed. Comes and go at certain speeds, but above 40mph is pretty bad.

Anyone know where I could get the tires trued? You know, shaved to make them round again.

Comment

Originally posted by 4RunnerAdam View Post
              I picked up a jug of steel BB's at wal mart today.

I think I can easily load them through the valve stem, with the valve core removed.

According to wikipidia, the internal threads on a standard schrader valve is 5.3mm. The BB's are 4.5mm.

The bottle they come in has a cylindrical loader as a cap...

I'm going to try and load them through this bottle. If that doesnt work, I'll rig up some sort of proper diameter tube and a funnel.

Now I just have to find some way to measure and weigh out grams....dont have any scales.

I just hope this helps me. Not sure it will though. I have a pretty good shimmy as she gets up to speed. Comes and go at certain speeds, but above 40mph is pretty bad.

Anyone know where I could get the tires trued? You know, shaved to make them round again.

well, i wouldnt fill with that bottle. you need to know how much youre putting in and try to keep it even or close to it at all 4 corners. its going to be slow going through the valve stem. only one bb at a time can pass through it. good luck, let us know how it worked!

new valve stem install from the outside is a real PITA... but there are certainly things that are even worse. so in perspective. its really not that bad. but it is a PITA none the less.
              http://springfieldohiojeepers.freeforums.org/index.php

Comment

I'm going to only fill the bottle with 10-12 ounces of BB's at a time.

One at a time, but they will all flow through the tip of the bottle very quickly, one after the other. Like a funnel. The tip of the bottle has an opening that will be only wide enough to fit one BB, so they should flow out one by one, but very quickly.

Comment

BB's dont fit through a standard valve stem :(

Guess I'll have to bring it to work and break them down on a tire machine. Oh well, I need new valve stems anyhow. :(

Comment

Damn that Wikipedia!
                    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

i have heard that steel BBs dissentegrate into powdery dust that packs up and sticks, not doing its job.

Comment

Bring the tires to my shop and I will run over them breaking the bead on 1 side. Dump whatever you please in them and seat them with air and done. This is very easy!
                        sigpic

Comment

Was going to say the same as above, just break one bead, dump them in, and air it back up. Just make sure you don't have any BB's laying between the bead and rim lip when you air it back up.

Regarding the comment about steel BB's disintegrating.....not sure about that. I ran regular steel BB's in my daily driver/tow rig truck for probably 6-8k (tires were getting uneven wear at the end of their life so I tried the BB's to smooth them out). When I removed them the BB's looked exactly like when I installed them and no evidence of any wear on the rims or tires.

Comment

no firsthand experience here, just what i have heard here and there.... don't trust the interwebs, was just sharing in case it had any truth.

Comment

The talk that I heard about the steel BBs is that with long term use they will begin to rust and leave nasty crap in the tires.
                              1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                              FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                              5.14 tcase
                              36" TSL SX

Comment

I've read the same posts about rusting and disintergrating, but it never came from anybody with personal experience.....was always "I read it somewhere that it happened". Usually how these rumors start is somebody asked the question a couple years ago and a person replied with "maybe this or that will happen if you put steel BB's in the tires". Next thing you know the "big fish" story takes affect and now people think "this or that" is gospel.

Anyway, with that said I can't guarantee you won't have those issues with long-term. But I have had normal steel BB's in a set of tires for 6-8k on a daily driver with no issues, and BB's in my trail rig tires for going on a couple of years now.

Comment

Working...
                                X