X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GT MOTORSPORTS View Post
    JEEPTECH77 wrote:

BLAZERBRAD wrote:
    I personally like the idea of the HP44 front axle, but it is likely more work to make a custom one versus bolting on a few things to the D30.

fab time is no big deal to me..I dig it!

BLAZERBRAD wrote:
    I've never heard of the D44 having a "bad knuckle design that is hard on parts"???? Anybody care to elaborate? Both the D30 and D44 have the standard balljoint style knuckles of the same basic design from what I can tell, just that the D44 is bigger.

Yeah Id like to know why also..there is alot of dana 44 out there in all sorts of lifted trucks..

JEEP TECH77 wrote:
    i only changed 1 or 2 over a couple of years so maby you got mud in a tire or something shaking the crap out of them
    I have an 8.8 and a Built D30HP on my '06 Wrangler. I can tell you that the Jeep D44 fronts are not HP, also When the Rubicon was intoduced the knuckles, ball joints, unit bearings, and brakes are the same for the D30 and D44 for '04-'06. The later D30's use the 297x / 760x u-joint, I'm not 100% but I think that is the same as the Jeep D44.
    I basically kept the outter knucles, unit-bearings, brakes, and axle shafts from my '06 D30. Then took a D30HP center section, installed all new gears, bearings, seals, and ball-joints, welded up a truss and lower CA skids and now I have a tough D30HP with the large u-joints, unit bearings, and brakes. I have not invested in alloy shafts but that's supposed to add 30% to the shaft strength. I keep hearing the reverse cut gears running on the drive side (D30HP) will be as strong as the std. cut gear running on the coast side (D44) I haven't broken a ring gear yet so don't know. I am probably pushing my luck running 36" SXs on beadlocks with this axle, but i like to pick good lines and wheel smart. Know when to hit the skinny pedal and know when it's time to pull winch cable.

Just my typical long winded 2 cents worth.

Good luck with the build!

Comment

waggy 44's

Just my two cents.......I run waggy 44's front and rear.In the front is 4.10 gears with a aussie locker,stock axles.The only problem i have had is with the half circle C clip on the axle u j .The clip was coming off and the cup was working out.I caught this before any damage was done.So to correct this problem i machined the ears on the axle to accept full circle snap rings,and upgraded to spicer 297x u j's.I wheel this rig pretty hard with no problem.I'am also running 36" swampers on beed locks.

Comment

I ran 36's with a somewhat heavy rig and a strong motor (well used rpm's) to boot and broke inner and outer shafts, ring and pinion and a true track before retiring it for a 60 which broke only once. It was a dodge dana 44 high pinion with ball joints. It would have been fine on a lighter rig with 1/2 the HP.
        sigpic

Comment

Kenny tj, only the rear axle is form a waggy..the front is a 79 ford HP...
          I thank you for your axle specs.Good tech.I have the larger U-joints and a HP D30.

Jeep guy,you ever break axles?

94 truggy, so you think I could get by with the d44 in a cherokee with 35's?
          Regret not what you've done,Only what you have'nt.

Comment

I think it will be fine and if not you can always install bobby longfield shafts!
            sigpic

Comment

A big thumbs up on the Longfield shafts!

Comment

Waggy 44

thejeepguy has his waggy 44 under a xj cherokee with a 4.0 runnin 36" tsl. the only upgrade was the 30 dollar u joint with the full circle clips. the rig has been wheeled hard and has never broke any axle parts. i consider it a big upgrade to the d30!
                ZUKI linked f/r 16v air shocks cut 39.5" tsl. exod. full hydro F/R. rear steer.

Comment

I would consider a D44 under a relatively light rig with only 35's to be fairly beefy. I have heard the "no bigger than 35's on a D44" before but that was considering a heavy fullsize truck with more power.

I've wheeled with several guys with D44 front axles under 6 cylinder Jeeps and they have had really good luck. Two guys had D44 fronts under YJ's with 36" SX's (i.e. heavy), lockers, low geared t-cases, but stockish 4.0L. Both of these guys were running these fronts back in the late-90's when running a D60 front was unheard of, and no fancy chromo shafts or u-joints either.

Another guy just built a D44 for his CJ-7 with 33" Boggers and a built 258. He's been intentionally beating on it to see how it holds up, especially considering he was constantly breaking the old D30 (granted, it was a CJ version LP with the small joints).

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

How do you guys feel about the waggy REAR dana44? Thats the one where I made the comment about the axle tubes tapering from the center cast housing to the housing ends? I have one of those. Im trying to keep my 8.8 for my daily driver...

Comment

Waggy 44 rear

The 44 i am running is out of a '83 waggy,which was a very simple swap into my XJ. I am also running a Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft,which is very important in this swap.The 44 is just OK,keeping in mind that you can break anything if you try hard enough.When you wheel with the 'zuki and the 'yota guys you either wheel hard or stay on the porch.

Comment

any one ever use these?

http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA30.php

Im thinking these would be a nice way to go. I just wonder if the axles become the weak link along with the u joints. Its says they are machined to clear the CTM joints...so what do you guys think? i kno wthey seem pricey at 259 each..

Comment

I just cant bring myself to spend that kind of dough on a D30
                          1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                          5.14 tcase
                          36" TSL SX

Comment

Yeah im not so sure either..Im still trying to figure out what axle is the best way to go..trying to do all my research as well as asking personal opinons of those who have run d30,d44 with 35" tires..

Thise reid racing knucks looked appealing due to the fact that a good unit bearing is $90.00 and cheapy is $70 so I have replaced 3 sets now..and the fact that the reid racing units use old style 44 bearing that never SEEM to wear out..it seems like a viable option..and you get lock out hubs. I think ARB made a air locker the was a hybrid that used 44 axles and then the weak link would be the gear..im still up in the air...Im thinking a 449 now...a 609 may be another option...ugh..all this thinking is making my brain hurt..lol

Comment

You will not have a problem running that rear Waggy 44 axle. Especially with 33-35 tires. I have many friends that run 37s on waggy axles front and rear, and I will be doing the same and have no worries in my axle choice. I would love to go Dana 60s, but for a DD and only running 37s I couldnt bring myself to it.

But to your original question, maybe throw a truss on that rear axle and you pretty much wont ever have to think or worry about it once its under your heep. Plus like someone said earlier in the thread, disc brake conversions for it you can get at alot of places (online fab companies).

Also I would see you having a problem with that HP Dana 44 front, especially with 33s maybe 35s. Our trail boss runs a HP Dana 44 from a Ford truck on 35x15.5 SXs and wheels it HAAAARD with no breaks but a 30+ yr old u joint.

The 8.8 is a good axle and available almost at every pick n pull as well. Both my step dad and brother run one in their jeeps. I got a set of Waggy Dana 44s for less than a single 8.8 so I couldnt pass it up.

Good luck to whatever ya decide!

Comment

Originally posted by GT MOTORSPORTS View Post
                                any one ever use these?

http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA30.php

Im thinking these would be a nice way to go. I just wonder if the axles become the weak link along with the u joints. Its says they are machined to clear the CTM joints...so what do you guys think? i kno wthey seem pricey at 259 each..
                                CTM joints are garbage. I have seen too many come apart. The only joint that seems to be worth anything is Randy's Ring and Pinion joints.
                                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X