Transmission question for 4.0 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission question for 4.0 conversion

I have a 1987 YJ and I am putting a high output 4.0 from a 1992 XJ in it. I have the whole XJ here and I was using the wiring harness from it. It came with a AW4 transmission but I was going to use my TF999 instead. But now I have come across a 32RH for very cheap and I want to know if I can use the trans with the computer and wiring harness out of the XJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

My guess is Yes it will work as long as you get it wired in correctly and what ever T/C you are using will bolt up..

Heres a link that should help with the wiring part...
    http://www.transonline.com/transdige...ers/index.html

Good Luck

Nick
    Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
    Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

The AW4 is a great transmission.....
      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Yep, just ask the Pete and Sean show... they beat the pooh out of that poor AW4 in Pete's rig... Flipped Dana300 after it...

Oh, but to answer your question... Not sure...
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

stick with the aw4, better gearing, or put a new vent on the 999 and run it. they are extremely hard to kill. of the 3 trannies you listed, the new one would be my last choice.
          zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

This 32RH will be the easiest trans to put in. It will bolt right up with no driveshaft issues and it already has a crankshaft sensor in it so that is what i would like to go with for now

Comment

you'll have to use the XJ flywheel & CPS sensor for it to run, as long as those'll work you should be ok with either.

Comment

Just run the AW4 and the 231 T-case you will gain the overdrive and better t-case.

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post
                  Just run the AW4 and the 231 T-case you will gain the overdrive and better t-case.
                  Also when it goes bad they can be bought very cheap. I say AW4 because its already set up for it.
                  91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Theres a bunch of AW4's in the savage yards right now due to the cash for clunkers program...

Nick
                    Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                    Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Working...
                    X