No announcement yet.

Leaf spring woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove it to work, and then the ORFW meeting last night, and it did great.
    It obviously lifted me back up to a full 6" lift, which realigned the driveshaft angles, and smoothed out my vibes.

But I swear I can feel the antiwrap working, too. When I get on it, the ass end tries to rise a bit as it puts the power down.

The ride is a little firmer, but not at all harsh, or even stiff really. Just like it's better put together.

They do hang down just a little lower than I'd like. The angled nose should help,
    but adding a small skid to the front would bridge the gap between the bar and the spring.

For a few hours work and a bunch of scrap material, I'm thrilled.

I still don't know if I'll keep it long term, but it'll certainly keep me out of the garage till I make up my mind about something better!

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

looks almost like some old school traction bars.... As long as they don't hang up on everything, i think it is a good fix.... just my .02

chris
      sigpic
      chris hodges
      96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
      71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
        looks almost like some old school traction bars...
        Yep, that's exactly what there are: a homemade, offroad version of the old Lakewood traction bars:

That is, of course, why I just had to paint them yella!

Robert

Comment

Looks good Robert...I'm curious to see how they perform offroad.Yella traction bars bring back some great memories.I had a set on my 69 cougar.

Nick
          Last edited by Coppertop; 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM.
          Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
          Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Hey Robert - good to meet you last weekend at Big Rock! So, what happened with your Jeep?
            2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Comment

UPDATE:

I just realized I never posted back to report how these worked offroad. Bluntly, they didn't. Not at all.

I had less traction and more wheelhop than I ever had before, to the point of destroying the old leaf packs. I sheared the centering pin, separated the leaves, and had to strap the axle in place to limp it out of the park.

Now I had suspected at the time that I might have issues:

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
              There's probably a dozen reasons nobody has done this, and a dozen more why it won't work like I want...
              ...but I never understood exactly why it went so badly, especially when it seemed to work so great on the street. Til now.

I've been doing some suspension research lately, playing with ideas for the Willys I'm gonna build "one-day." And I now realize that what I built way back when was essentially a crude radius-arm. And I had given myself a clue to the impending doom when I wrote:

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
              But I swear I can feel the antiwrap working, too. When I get on it, the ass end tries to rise a bit as it puts the power down.
              That wasn't "antiwrap" I was feeling, that was antisquat. And crazy antisquat numbers are why nobody uses a radius arm rear suspension.

I had heard that term, antisquat, but I never understood it. Now I'm learning. Basically, the torque of the rear axle, that previously caused axlewrap, was now being delivered to the bottom of the jeep, actually lifting it slightly.

On pavement, this was okay. The bar pushed up on the body, the weight of the jeep pushed back down, the tires dug in, and off I went.

But offroad, the limited traction threw everything into chaos. Since the rear tires were now trying to actually lift the weight of the jeep as well as trying to move it forward, I was fighting against myself. I would have needed more traction to climb the same hill.

And when that traction wasn't there, really bad things happen. The tire slips, the torque is removed from the bar, and the lifting force vanishes. The body of the jeep drops back to and then below ride height, flattening and even inverting the leaf. All in a split-second of violence. (There's a name for this, too, that I'd heard but never really "got": Unloading.)

Immediately, the suspension bottoms out, the tires dig in, the traction returns, the axle rotates, the bar lifts the body, and the cycle repeats. And chit breaks. Bad.

None of this really matters now, I put a new set of leaves in it right after this failed experiment three years ago.

But for future reference, in case anybody else considers it, this is why my idea didn't (and won't) work...

So don't try this at home.

Robert
              Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 05-22-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X