Hydro steering on a yota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
    i was waiting on why i wrong about rams not what they are. i going on what southern hillclimbers tell so just wanting answer
    Because single vs double ended rams have NOTHING to do with overall steering speed being "slow." The only difference is a double ended ram has the same force/speed going both directions.

The only reason I posted the lengthy definition was because somebody said to get a "dual action cylinder" which just means it moves in both directions... which IS what you want... but that can still be single or double ended.

Hell, I could put a double ended 1.5x8" ram with a 5/8" shaft and run it as an ASSIST cylinder... and it would be the exact same force/speed as my current 1.5x8" single ended ram with a 5/8" shaft when CONTRACTING... only difference is the single ended ram has MORE FORCE when extending, and requires more fluid extending(due to lack of rod inside the cylinder which takes away from effective piston area)... it is slower extending vs contracting.

I'm pulling these numbers from my ass, but I think I could run a 1.75x8" double ended ram with a 3/4" shaft and it would be pretty damn close to the force and speed of my current ram when extending.

Comment

ive got a 2"x8" with a 1" shaft and i was told by a hydro mech./guru i know, that it will push and pull faster than a .75 di. shaft.....so r u sayin this is wrong
      sigpicI EAT BURRITOS ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills49 View Post
        ive got a 2"x8" with a 1" shaft and i was told by a hydro mech./guru i know, that it will push and pull faster than a .75 di. shaft.....so r u sayin this is wrong
        It will be faster because it requires less fluid volume to fill(so a slower PS pump should keep up)... but it will have less force because there is less piston area.

If it's double ended it will be like that in both directions.

If it's single ended it will be significantly weaker contracting vs extending... but you may find it won't turn as fast as you can when the ram is extending since it's got significantly more piston area(and fluid volume necessary) to fill the cylinder up.

Comment

Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

R E A D !

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ng/index1.html

Comment

jonesy,, I just did hydro assist from burden on my jeep. if you want hydro assist i have the parts list etc you need.. if you want full hydro on the cheap i have that list too.. but i would buy a psc set up.. you dont save much by cheap piecing it and can be a good amount of work. I like to have all the stuff i need in one shot. Pm me if you want the list.... dont worry about all the tech bs use what worx for people you know it worked for.
              Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrills49 View Post
                This is correct. With a larger shaft there is smaller volume of liquid to be moved. But with a larger shaft you also reduce your force since that is dependent on the surface area of the piston that it has to push against.

After skimming the pirate article and a few other sources I'm still trying to decide what I want vs. how much I want to spend. Might just do a a single ended cylinder for now, and upgrade to the double ended later on.
                JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

Originally posted by jwend View Post
                  jonesy,, I just did hydro assist from burden on my jeep. if you want hydro assist i have the parts list etc you need.. if you want full hydro on the cheap i have that list too.. but i would buy a psc set up.. you dont save much by cheap piecing it and can be a good amount of work. I like to have all the stuff i need in one shot. Pm me if you want the list.... dont worry about all the tech bs use what worx for people you know it worked for.
                  Thanks for the honest assessment. Kinda what I was finding out. I could skimp here and there to save a couple bucks, or just order the kit and be done with it. If you have the list send it my way.
                  JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
                  87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

completly understand what ur saying about fluid. imagine everything the same except ram, i have been told by many single is faster than double ended, why would that be, or r they on crack
                    SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

completly understand what ur saying about fluid. imagine everything the same except ram, i have been told by many single is faster than double ended, why would that be, or r they on crack
                      in theory double should be faster than single any day but with less power.

The rod partially fills the working area of the piston adn chamber so it will fill with fluid, and it is the same either way on a double ended cylinder, therefor conidering the same pump flow rating, should be faster.

as to why a single would be faster? maybe it is the difference in pump, or style of cylinder used.
                      beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Probably just has to do with what sizes they are using... You can have a SE cylinder that is faster than a DE cylinder of similar size in one direction... but slower than that cylinder in the other direction.

I also think part of it is that people see "2.5 dia ram" and think "OMG that's too big!" but the fact is, it has a very large 1.5" dia rod which takes up 34% of that piston's area(in both directions). So in reality that is like the non-rod side of a 2.0" single ended cylinder... But that same 2.0" SE cylinder will have a shaft on the opposite side... in PSC's case it is 1.125" dia shaft... which actually takes away 30% of the power from the shaft-side of the ram(when contracting).

In a nutshell... get a badass pump(don't skimp here), get an orbital that will give you the correct turns lock to lock based on what you want vs ram size vs pump output, and the ram you can probably go cheap on... just size it correctly! If it stays sealed it will work

Comment

makes sense they also tell me krc is there favorite pump for aetna style buggys do to the high rpm nature! my psc pumps whine loud at wot and it was kit from psc. figured pump and orbital would have more to do with how fast steering is than ram
                          SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

makes sense they also tell me krc is there favorite pump for aetna style buggys do to the high rpm nature! my psc pumps whine loud at wot and it was kit from psc. figured pump and orbital would have more to do with how fast steering is than ram
                            correct. the ram simply works off how fast you can fill it with fluid. if you have a high GPH pump, then even with a larger cylinder you can have quick steering.
                            beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Working...
                            X