quality of optima batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
    Could never bring myself to spend the money on an Optima. Just got a new pair for the Blazer today after having some issues. I've had good luck with the Duralast Gold versions from Autozone and have been running them since the mid-90's. They have a 3 year free replacement and an 8 year pro-rated warranty. The set I replaced today was right at 6 years old and had a rough life in an off-road vehicle, winching, sat around a lot between being started, and had been drained and recharged several times (sometimes the diesel is a bare to start when real cold).

Basically walked out of the store with a pair of dual terminal group 34 1000CCA batteries for the price of one, which I didn't think was bad considering the olds ones were 6 years old. Optimas were around $190 per battery.

The factory GM battery in my '03 went out after 7 years and I replaced it with whatever the Advance Auto Parts "premium" house brand is. Think I got 35% off by using a discount code online and them store pickup, and thus the reason I went that route.
    x2

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
      Optima was sold and is now made in china I believe.
      Optima is a brand of Johnson Controls (JCI) out of Milwaukee. They make stuff all over including China, Mexico, Europe, and the US. (There was a blurb this summer about JCI doubling their plant in Toledo to make AGM (Optima) batteries.)

Comment

I put 2 in my Blazer about 6 months ago, no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by C.P. View Post
          I put 2 in my Blazer about 6 months ago, no problems at all.
          Not enough time. Give it 3 years and abuse and check in with a report. Hopefully it was just a bad batch.
          sigpic

Comment

Aren't the Diehard Platinum batteries the same as an Odyssey? I thought I read that somewhere.

Comment

talked to scott about interstate...he thinks they are wet acid type, im really hopin to stay with an agm or dry so guess ill be lookin in all other directions.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
              my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

I went with the the die hard platinum which I read was the same as the odyssey. They aren't cheap but are suppose to be really good. I've haven't tortured it yet so I guess we will see how it holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                  Not enough time. Give it 3 years and abuse and check in with a report. Hopefully it was just a bad batch.
                  I hope they work out. I swore them off years ago, but needed them in a pinch. I would rather have lead/acid but they are mounted inside the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                    talked to scott about interstate...he thinks they are wet acid type, im really hopin to stay with an agm or dry so guess ill be lookin in all other directions.

Liquid should be just fine for you Rob. Batteries don't spill sitting on a shelf in the shop, or in a rig that doesn't move any further than it can be pushed around on the floor.

Comment

......:p funny dude!

i was expecting a rollover battery acid ball valve joke from ya! let me check here...yep....the worlds longest build thread belongs to someone else here besides me, so im good!:) how long was that...?

id probably be ok cause i have a sheild between batt and passenger compartment but rather be safe than sorry. from what im hearin here i think ill steer clear of optima for now though

my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
                        http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-cor...a-yay-nay.html

here is some good info on optima batteries... if you go thru the thread there is a guy from optima(optima jim) that answers a bunch of specific questions too...
                        There is a ton of info in that ^thread^, some good and some bad... From what i remember reading there was an issue with a batch of batteries when they first changed manufacturing locations... Also that there has been much better reviews of of the yellow and blue Optimas...

I personally have only owned 1 optima over the years and it was when they first came out about 15 years ago... They cost too much these days...

I have had good luck with the Advance premium batteries... I have a starting and deep cycle in my cruiser and have not had any issues with them... The starting battery is about 2 years old and starts everytime i want it too..

sigpic
                        chris hodges
                        96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
                        71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

I know at one time the Optima was the only battery that would not physically bust from the pounding they got put through in the hill-climber rails.

Comment

Working...
                          X