No announcement yet.

A question for you carpenters..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your slab is on top of the ground so the edges could become unsupported with erosion. With all of the weight of the building on the edges it could stress the edge. I would do a footer and do you have building codes that you have to follow and then you have the question. Will insurance insure a building built that way???

Comment

update....
      .opinions were split right down the middle on which way to do it...had a builder and concrete guy come out.their opinion was that if I was to stick build right on the edge, I should dig a footer around perimeter......bids came in averaging $3700 for diggiing and concrete work

right now another pole barn is sounding real nice.had the last shell up for 9k..I'm sure prices haven't gone down any

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
      my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

I don't ost here much and we've never met.... but looking at your pictures your slab already has some degree of void underneath. I would think it would still be ok to build on top, but I wouldn't do it. I have a overkill mentallity when building. One issue I see with building another building around this slab is the cold joints. The other issue is if you just go outside the slab, your gonna be cutting a bunch to make it fit. Now if your talking about forgetting this slab all together then my issues are out the door. I think I'd stay with digging footers and reusing this slab if it were me....

Comment

what's a cold joint? I'm guessing where the existing slab meets the new concrete id pour?

Comment

Personally I woukd build right on the slab and anchor it down... It's a pole building not a house in Hyde park... With the lumber on top the slab it will last longer than a building with poles sunk in the ground... Poles will Rot off at ground level after years of being built
            S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Yup a cold joint is where the two slabs meet. I still stick with digging footers. Heck you can do that yourself.... The only reason I see to do this is from your pictures I can see that there is a gravel base, That base around te edges might end up washing out over time. If that would happen you could end up with the slab breaking off. I doubt that would be the case but would hate to tel you it'll be fine then have it happen.

Comment

yeah after pole barn went up I. packed 6" dense grade and dust to level it and a base.

.I take it a cold joint is not a good thing...avoid if possible?

ok maybe ill just bite it and spend the $ ...def want to do it right. plus if the next storm blows it away again ill have the footers ready for shop#3

Comment

any framers on here intrested in building a shell?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                    any framers on here intrested in building a shell?

I'd be interested....
                    I think you should look into something like i did for my upstairs... it sure is nice having a big room up there... Thought i had a better pic, i will get one tomorrow...
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    chris hodges
                    96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
                    71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

If there is a footer under it (36in thick) go for it. Did down and see what you got. Probably its just a slab poured on the ground. Did around the outside of the slab and dig a new footer and make it all nice and pretty start with some treated plates and go from there.

There will even be enough room to make a brick ledge
                      Judging by the 3 little piggys....

I drove through there not to long ago. I was pretty shocked to see what a lot of wind could do in person. It was pretty wild. Good luck with the build buddy.
                      Powerstrokes, Mustangs, and Jeeps.. oh my

Comment

Working...
                      X