Wiring the buggy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring the buggy...

This is what I came up for the battery/charging system. What do you all think?
    Attached Files
    One Country, One Flag, One Language...
    LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

there will also be a 150 amp circuit breaker between the battery and master disconnect.
    LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

I would probably change the hot wire to the alternator to the other side of the "master disconnect"... otherwise it will be misnamed...
      brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
      Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

sorry for the hijack but i have a whole case of gm weatherpack connectorsthat i probly never use that u are more than welcome to if u want them. makes for some clean wiring.
        my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
          I would probably change the hot wire to the alternator to the other side of the "master disconnect"... otherwise it will be misnamed...
          Oops! Good catch Brad.
          Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
          sorry for the hijack but i have a whole case of gm weatherpack connectorsthat i probly never use that u are more than welcome to if u want them. makes for some clean wiring.
          Sending you a pm...
          Last edited by biggin69; 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM.
          LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Rob, your pm box is full!
            LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

You want your alternator cable on the battery side like the picture. When you kill power to the buggy you want to kill the ignition and fuel. If the Single wire alternator is on the ignition and fuel side of the switch it will still power run the fuel pump and the ignition.

Comment

hey i put alternator wire on other side! lol no but i ran alt. wire to starter power to charge battery to cut down on wires.
                SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

That is the reason I put the alternator on the battery side, thinking it would still run if it was on the opposite side.
                  LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Wait... what?

Maybe I'm thinking about this disconnect differently than most... if I kill the power to the entire rig, then go to pull out the alternator to find it still hot... I would (most likely curse repeatly, and) think that the "Master Disconnect" was misnamed or faulty... This isn't the start/ignition switch, it's a safety/convenience item to kill ALL power...

Just my 2 pesos worth, I guess...
                    brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Correct. It is to kill all power but if you move the salt wire to the other side like you mentioned, the switch will not kill the engine if it is running because the alternator will be powering everything. Make sense?
                      LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Are you running a GM Alt? If so, is it a 1 wire or 3 wire?

If it is a 3 wire like mine, so long as the volt sense wire is routed to a switched source, you can "turn off" the alternator.
                        1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                        5.14 tcase
                        36" TSL SX

Comment

or get a single pole double throw style disconect..
                          my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
                            Are you running a GM Alt? If so, is it a 1 wire or 3 wire?

If it is a 3 wire like mine, so long as the volt sense wire is routed to a switched source, you can "turn off" the alternator.
                            Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                            or get a single pole double throw style disconect..
                            Its a 3 wire. The switch is a 4 pole type, 2 for battery cable and 2 for alternator field.
                            LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by biggin69 View Post
                              Correct. It is to kill all power but if you move the salt wire to the other side like you mentioned, the switch will not kill the engine if it is running because the alternator will be powering everything. Make sense?
                              I guess I never considered this "Master Disconnect" the thing to pull to turn off the engine... dash ignition/fuel switches for that?

I just can't wrap my head around the name... sorry, not trying to be a jerk... If this is a kill switch, call it a kill switch... (I would certainly look at it differently at that point) Until the entire rig is de-energized, i have a hard time with "Master Disconnect"

...fun topic though... thanks for starting it up...
                              brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X