how to for 8.8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to for 8.8 swap

i am possible thinking of doing a ford 8.8 rear end swap into my 99 tj sport. i was wandering what all it would take to do so as far as mods go.
    UNITED STATES MARINE
    99 TJ, locked, long armed, creepy's
    sigpic

I have a buddy doing the exact same thing. Here's his build up thread on another forum.

http://www.kentuckykrawlers.org/inde...&p=29613#29613

Comment

your going to need SYE if you don't have one already , drive shaft work , and find a drive flange off of an Aerostar van to match your drive shaft u-joint.
      you will also have to either buy or fab an e-brake cable adapter.

Comment

Several guys in our club have/had 8.8's in the back of their Jeeps and none had a SYE kit.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
          Several guys in our club have/had 8.8's in the back of their Jeeps and none had a SYE kit.

I'm not running a SYE on mine either , however, I stretched my WB so I did not need one. The 8.8 is longer then the D-35 thus making it a problem of DS angle if the rear end is not pushed back. I was under the impression that unless you stretch a SYE is a must , but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
            your going to need SYE if you don't have one already , drive shaft work , and find a drive flange off of an Aerostar van to match your drive shaft u-joint.
            you will also have to either buy or fab an e-brake cable adapter.
            I might have the driveshaft flanges if you need them. let me know and I will look
            91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Brad, Sarge...you both know better than this. most guys going 8.8 are probably lifted too much to get away without a sye. But if you swap an 8.8 with little to no lift I'm sure the slip yoke shaft would still get by. However the 8.8 pinion is offset a little which can cause the need for an sye when no other changes are made from a D35. Blah!

Comment

There are people who will say a SYE is required for 4" of lift on a Wrangler also, but there are several guys in the club that have been wheelin' and street driving for years with no issues. Just because the magazines are pimping something to support the companies paying them big $$ for advertisements doesn't mean it's required.

Comment

all depends on how flexy that 4" lift is, i guess, and if you offroad it to where it will drop some axle. Slip yokes suck the balls in general, and if you run one with a 4" lift, it's only a matter of time, in my opinion. Not much spline holding on when you move that axle down a little more.

Comment

If its stock or lifted about 2" or so you can get away with no SYE. I have installed several F8.8s into TJs with no sye. Didnt have any issues or terrable driveline vibes. Once you get to 3"+ lift you really need to look into getting a SYE because of angles and vibes. The U joint flange for the pinion can be had from a driveline shop for around $20ish or so new.

AARON
                    91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                      all depends on how flexy that 4" lift is, i guess, and if you offroad it to where it will drop some axle. Slip yokes suck the balls in general, and if you run one with a 4" lift, it's only a matter of time, in my opinion. Not much spline holding on when you move that axle down a little more.
                      If it's just articulating, the pumpkin (diff) doesn't really move much. One side goes up, one side goes down.

You can always have the driveshaft lengthened a little to make up the difference. A standard wheelbase YJ or TJ only needs maybe an extra inch or so with a 4" lift.

I'm not saying that a SYE is a bad idea or anything, it's just not always required.

Comment

well buddy to tell u the truth i got a 8.8 in my jeep with 7in of lift and i dont have a SYE and mine flexes like no other and has never came out u can swap it with out the SYE and have no problems
                        89 xj 5" rustys
                        93 zj 7" rockcrawler springs with rustys long arms

Comment

is there any other rear end i should go with or i would be safe to just build my rear end with axles and a limited slip or what else can i do to save my rear end from 35's for now i dont plan on going much bigger than that until the jeep is paid off
                          UNITED STATES MARINE
                          99 TJ, locked, long armed, creepy's
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoaktj View Post
                            is there any other rear end i should go with or i would be safe to just build my rear end with axles and a limited slip or what else can i do to save my rear end from 35's for now i dont plan on going much bigger than that until the jeep is paid off
                            this "debate" isn't about the 8.8 being bad, it's more of a really dumb fight among stubborn ppl that don't want to be wrong. an 8.8 is an excellent choice for 35's. Mine vibrateded with 3" of lift even after messing with pinion angle. Many I've worked on since didn't vibe...whoop dee doo. it's hit or miss. It's not political "magazine" jargon, many SWB jeeps need a CV rear shaft. (and yes, I'm fully aware that the proper pinion angle setup for a CV shaft is very different than a non-cv shaft). What tiny issue did I miss this time?

Comment

Originally posted by jeep93zj View Post
                              well buddy to tell u the truth i got a 8.8 in my jeep with 7in of lift and i dont have a SYE and mine flexes like no other and has never came out u can swap it with out the SYE and have no problems
                              this seems impossible... buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X