how to for 8.8 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lugie View Post
    this "debate" isn't about the 8.8 being bad, it's more of a really dumb fight among stubborn ppl that don't want to be wrong. an 8.8 is an excellent choice for 35's. Mine vibrateded with 3" of lift even after messing with pinion angle. Many I've worked on since didn't vibe...whoop dee doo. it's hit or miss. It's not political "magazine" jargon, many SWB jeeps need a CV rear shaft. (and yes, I'm fully aware that the proper pinion angle setup for a CV shaft is very different than a non-cv shaft). What tiny issue did I miss this time?
    Yes, the debate has nothing to do with the 8.8. It seems to be a really good swap candidate for a Jeep.

There only seems to be one person on this post upset that others are disagreeing with their theory on SYE's..............

Comment

if yer referring to me, i'm not upset at all, just hate to see someone disabled on the trail. i have just always heard, for years, if you do SOA or a 4" SUA lift with a TJ that you gotta get rid of that slip yoke.

i'm sure there always exceptions to every rule. i have seen 1 guy run 37" tires on a 35c rear and wheel all weekend, but have seen at least 10 guys with 35" tires on a 35c limping themselves back to camp with tie downs and 2x4's.

So, its all in what your experiences are i guess. I personally don't have any experience with slip yokes coming out, because i have never run one. But i don't see any reason to not get rid of it during the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep93zj View Post
        well buddy to tell u the truth i got a 8.8 in my jeep with 7in of lift and i dont have a SYE and mine flexes like no other and has never came out u can swap it with out the SYE and have no problems
        Ok Buddy, not to get your panties in a bunch but if you are running a 93 ZJ then you are compairing apple to oranges . Your DS is a mile long compaired to a YJ or TJ , this makes all the diff. in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
          if yer referring to me,
          Not at all!

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
            Not at all!
            oh, ok. carry on then... hhhaaha.

Comment

found a superior 35 axle kit for a decent price but it is for a yj i was just wandering if this would work in my tj or not i mean a 35 is just a 35 right/no/maybe... this would be ok for now if so to hold my 35's
              UNITED STATES MARINE
              99 TJ, locked, long armed, creepy's
              sigpic

Comment

I would ask the poor fella we past on the trail last year at 909 with a TJ that had both axle shafts broke . I stopped to see if we could help and all he said was how stupid he felt for not listening to his buddies and junking the 35. He said he had spent north of a grand on it .... or should I say wasted !

Opps now someone is going get up on the soap box and start bashing me.

Dude , here's my opinion ( like I said folks "OPINION") you can polish a turd and ......well you get the point and that is what you are doing with a 35. I ran one and I beat the crap out of it and never broke. But I always knew that I was very close to the line. Last month John ( my buddy ) Killed his 35 at 909 on 34" tires.
                The 8.8 is a much stronger choice stock and they are cheap ( just got one for $250.00 ). and you get disk brakes
                Are there stronger out there ?... sure but width and bolt patterns change.
                If you want to add a super kit to the 8.8 they are out there and make them all most bullet proof ( ask the mustang guys ) My neighbor has an 8 second nasty fast fox body and he is running a super 8.8 with a spool . put a super 35 under that mustang and watch as it gets turned into a pretzel.

If I were you I would get an 8.8 and put it under your rig , keep in mind that you may need a SYE or you may not . Try it with out and if it doesn't vibrate good , if it does then put a SYE in it.
                Every Jeep is different , when I first got my YJ it had a 4"lift with no transfer drop , shims or SYE and I got ZERO vibes, however , I did pull the DS out of the slipat 909 a couple years ago (thanks carwash).
                Last month I put a 4" lift on a buddies YJ and he has vibes , so we are going to do a ML and see if it is enough . You just never know.

Comment

thanks for the info how much would someone charge me to wled all the right brackets onto an 8.8 for me
                  UNITED STATES MARINE
                  sigpic

Comment

well i dont wheel my **** too hard at all its mostly dd and a few trails here and there but nothing that i even so much as need a locker for so i dont think i put my 35 thru that much pain as of now. but i am leaving for the military and when i get back from boot i can order a dana 44 from quadratec with a set of 488 or what not.

with running a 35 would it still be safe or should i just not even try i am getting very skeptical abotu it i know some buddies have beat the **** of theyre 35 with a set 35 and didnt break anything although i do know so other people that had snapped there **** with 33 which is what i run now.
                    UNITED STATES MARINE
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoaktj View Post
                      with running a 35 would it still be safe or should i just not even try
                      I think what sarge is saying is that if you have the money to buy the 8.8 then you should do it. Dont wast money on the 35

Comment

well at the moment i dont i just want to get all the info i can so wheni do have the money to upgrade i wont have any issues with the swap
                        UNITED STATES MARINE
                        sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with what Sarge is saying. There are a couple of guys in our club with D35's that have Super 35 kits and disk brakes, but they spent a fortune on them. I have never seen them break them but they are only running 33's and stuck at that tire size because they are scared to run any bigger. They also stay on the trails locally that the main obstacles are slick mud, not rocks. When they want to go to bigger tires they now have $1,000-$1,500 wrapped up into an axle that worthless to them.

The guys with 8.8's have a fraction of the cost wrapped up in the axle swap and can run 35-36" tires without worry.

Comment

Do the 8.8 swap. They are dirt cheap, and the swap is easy, if you can weld. I have one in my 2000 tj. Only about 2" of lift though. I have no issues and no driveshaft mods.
                            91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

Working...
                            X