No announcement yet.

harlan april fools ride 4/5-4/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i think weather gonna b great, thursday nite shower or 2 then sun for fri and sat! gonna tear creampuff up untill it tears me up!
    SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
      yeah i think weather gonna b great, thursday nite shower or 2 then sun for fri and sat! gonna tear creampuff up untill it tears me up!
      Get some video.

Comment

yes sir! loaded up headed out early morning. cant wait!!
        SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
          30% chance of rain Friday, but good from there out, and 58, 66, and 70 friggin degrees!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USKY0979:1:US
          Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
          Hope it stays like that.
          Even better! Rain down to 20%, temps up to 60, 68, and 71!
          DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
          Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Even better! Rain down to 20%, temps up to 60, 68, and 71!

Comment

Wow, what a weekend...

Comment

Wow, what a weekend...

Comment

I cracked a steering knuckle this weekend, so I guess it's time to upgrade the stock knuckles. Ive seen Reid and Dedenbear knuckles, but haven't seen these before. They are priced good. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...FfJQOgodZzYA0A
                  Anyone got a the scoop on these?

Comment

Judging by the ridges, those look like Solid Axle industries knuckles, which is what I run. They are very beefy compared to stock knuckles. The key on top is great, to keep from shearing high steer arm bolts off. I sheared a bunch of high steer arm bolts off, cracked both knuckles and plated them back, and then bought Solid knuckles and key'ed my high steer arms for them. The orange paint is deceiving, makes them look like dedenbaer/reid racing. Mine came un-painted, but I bought them direct from Solid axle industries in Ohio.
                    91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

Yep, fantastic trip! Great group, great weather, great wheeling!

Friday I walked right up Lower Profanity, Saturday I conquered Killing Time.
                      Sunday, I changed the tires and swept up some of the broken glass from Mason Jar, and Monday I drove it back to work!

I couldn't ask for a better dual-purpose rig!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Trip report:

After meeting up at the campground our group of three rigs went out to hit the trails. There were several groups at the trails but I wouldn't call it crowded. we started off by running railbed then fishfossil before heading to lower profanity where Kevin and I hammered on our rigs trying to get over the first rock ledge while Robert squeezed by and made it look easy. Next we went to grapevine, which was a sloppy mess, so we did our best Tim Cameron impressions sliding around in the mud trying to bounce over the rocks. Then we got our first Carnage of the day, my pants, which blew out climbing into the now taller jeep. I need a step ladder or something! Next we headed over Roberts Hatch and rear window were claimed when he backed into a tree. A few minutes later a bolt in my steering shaft found my lower radiator hose and split it wide open. On the way back from camp a steering line worked loose and sprayed PS fluid everywhere. And our friday of wheel was done.

Saturday we started off playing on the slab wall near where the main trail. We proceeded to run lower damnation and trouble. While inspecting our rigs after lunch we found a crack in Kevin's DS knuckle. So we did some trail riding and ran Tombstone on our way to see if there was any action in Lion Den. A few first timers thought the squeeze didn't look that narrow. Then they saw a toyota go though and changed their minds :) the next rig through broke so we headed back to camp to fix Kevin's knuckle.

After the fix we headed up lower rock garden and through killing time. That trail has changed quite a bit, it much harder than it was last year. We then went to valvestem where Kevin and I both were denied. This is where it got interesting. Leaving valvestem, I ran out of gas and come to a stop nose down in a big dip in the road. As its getting dark Robert ran back to camp to pick up some gas. We pour about 3 gallons in and still nothing, the 3 gallons was not enough to fill the cell up to the pickup tube. We pulled my rig forwards and backwards a few times to get it onto more level ground and start to pull apart my fuel system. It seems that the pump also died. Kevin has a spare inline pump in his rig so we stick it in my rig but jeep wont even hold an idle and I can't steer without the engine running. So we start to pull it down the mountain while I bump the starter to steer, until my battery goes dead. I have a spare pump in my tow rig, so Kevin and I go down the mountain to get some more gas and my spare pump. On the way back to the trailhead, we smell something burning just before entering the park we find out what it was, the serpentine belt breaks in half. One of his Idler pulley has locked up. So we change the belt loosen the bolt in the pulley to let it spin a little bit and limp it back to camp. All the while my rig and Roberts rig are up on the mountain. So we get get the parts and wheel my tow rig up the mountain to go fix my rig. The pump is changed in a few minutes and we go to hook up jumper cables and get my rig back to camp just before midnight.

It certainly was an adventure.

For a shakedown run in my rig I would call it a success. I had a few issues that need to be addressed, Mainly fix my crappy steering. And build some storage to carry some spare parts. Hope all you web wheelers can come along next time.

A few pics I took during the trip:

Me on Grapevine

Kevin on Trouble:

And the the friend we made at camp:

There were 4 of these puppies running around the camp.

Jim

Comment

i didnt get to take my new sami and beat on it. i did ride shotgun though and your right about the trails changing . amazing how much harder killin time and grapevine have become since fall crawl. had a great time though

Comment

yee want any ohio clear, 3rd jar from run, couple fites and cryin drunks in that jar! lmao
                            SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

yee want any ohio clear, 3rd jar from run, couple fites and cryin drunks in that jar! lmao
                              Just a horn off of it. Haha

Comment

So, did you get Creampuff, or Lil jagger?
                                91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

Working...
                                X