Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"THE HEEP" Buildup (SOA, 3/4 axles, Stak, Hi-steer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
    Man that looks really good!
    Thanks

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
    do your flanges stick out past the wheel? i'd be afraid of hitting them on rocks?
    I am concerned about that but plan on running as is for now. Flanges are about even with the outer lip of the rim. Offset an inch or so from th outer part the tire. May eventually change the backspacing on the rims. I would also like a little more width for stability.
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

ran hummer wheels at stock width with flanges sticking out past for years... no issues. jeff smith's are out past as well as Jim Smith's i believe... dont' worry about it, that stuff is strong. The rear can take the beating, the front can take even more if you go with drive flanges instead of lockouts.

Comment

Making some good progress lately. Stak shifters are hooked up, Slid rear axle back an inch. and lots of little things.

Info for anyone using H1 Rims on the HPD44 and I would guess the HPD60, there is some clearance issues. The original bleeder valves were too long, I had to find some shorter ones and replace them. Also the bolt that holds the clip in place for the caliper at the bottom of the caliper braket had to be ground shorter, as it rubbed the rim. After grinding I have clearance but only an 1/8 inch or less. I just hope a small rock or won't get jammed in there and cause problems. I really like how the H1 completely surrounds and protects the brakes though!

Should have my steering tie rods and longer brake lines this week to put on over the weekend. Should be down to driveshafts, TJ Flares and a few other odds and ends after the weekend. Ordering the driveshafts today from High Angle. I think I will end up with 1350s all around with a 1410 on the front of the case to be able to handle the 20 degree running angle.

Carwash and Truggy, what gear oil are you running in the stak? All I could find in their paperwork was GL-5 or better. What would you suggest?

I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! Test run will be March 21&22 if I can't get a local test run in before.
        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

i haven't put anything in mine yet, but i will be running Amsoil products all around in this rig...

Comment

I run a mobile 70w oil for industrial gearboxes.
            sigpic

Comment

Still making progress. Should get updated pics soon. Leaving next Thursday evening to ride in southern ohio, so the deadline is quickly approaching.

Done with all the major stuff except setting pinion angle and welding on perches on the rear. I am waiting on driveshafts which shipped yesterday from California and are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. Guess I will put them in last minute.

Installed TJ flares last night. Really opened it up for the larger tires. Also made the tires look much more proportional to the jeep. I was impressed with the difference it makes in looks.
              1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Got it put together enough for a shakedown run at the last minute. Definetly have some things to work out.

Traction bars - Need them front and rear. Any suggestions. Looking at typical style with bushings on axle end and a Heim on a shackle mount off the crossmember. Had so much wrap in the rear the I blew apart two u-bolt straps on the rear yoke, dinged up the d-shaft a little, and blew the caps on the u-joint.

OX Locker front - FOR SALE - Didn't seem to want to engage. I think it is because of the tight bends in the cable. Probably sell the OX and put an Aussie or similiar in the front.

NV3550 - Supposedly rebuilt. Has some noise, sounds like in the front bearing which I think it typical of early years of the tranny. Also occasionally popped out of 3rd when letting off gas. Going to replace the synchros in my AX-15 and put it back in instead. NV3550 will be FOR SALE.

Stak - Mount is sitting on bench and didn't get installed so with about a max of a half inch clearance from tub, it was hitting tub in rough terrain.

TSLs & H1 - Loved them, I would like change the backspacing on them by about 2 inchs for looks and stability.

Gearing - with the stak 4.3:1 offroad gear was very nice. No complaints off road. On road it was pretty weak when trying to turn the 38s going up hills, but it's not drivin on the road much anyway.
                1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Make sure you mount the stak itself to some sort of bracing or it will twist off the 6 mounting studs! Front track bar is rarely needed with a good leaf sprung setup.
                  sigpic

Comment

Make sure you mount the stak itself to some sort of bracing or it will twist off the 6 mounting studs! Front track bar is rarely needed with a good leaf sprung setup.
                    Yep, I am going to run two 2 x 2 square stock from one side of the frame to the other using poly bushings. One will hold tranny and front traction bar mount and the rear will hold stak and rear tractions bar. I will also tie the front and rear 2x2s together.

Friends watched and said my front was wrapping pretty bad also. I am running stock YJs with an added main leaf. I have 7 inch perches on front and rear. I would rather run traction bars and keep the soft springs that run stiffer springs. I would be open to other spring combinations, but I want to keep it as low and flexy as possible.

Thanks
                    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Pics from two weeks ago. Not really any action shots, but proof I was out for the trial run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LVJI08-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	68510

Click image for larger version

Name:	LVJI08-05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	68511

Ordering joints and bushing for antiwrap bars this week.
                      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Where did you wheel?
                        sigpic

Comment

Where did you wheel?
                          Private land.
                          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Well I yanked the stock springs after bending one on basically nothing. I picked up 2 inch BDS lift springs. I chose them due to the full military wrap, lifetime warranty, no shipping since I travel by their distribution center monthly, and they were cheaper than most. Also finished my anti-warp on the rear and mounted the stak temporarily.

My write and pics on the antiwrap are here:
                            http://buckeyejeepers.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44

With the new springs and anti wrap, it performed much better. After visiting redbird and haspin over the weekend the only thing I do not like is the whole jeep tends to hop when I break traction. Any ideas what is causing this. I know my rear shock need changed because they don't do much due to the angle. The only other thing I could think of was the low pressure in the 38s, around 5 psi. Any thoughts.
                            1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Hopping when breaking traction would probably be due to the lack of shock stroke to slow down the hop.

Comment

This this has turned out great!!
                                Very cool build, I hope to see it out on the trail sometime.

Comment

Working...
                                X