No announcement yet.

Project JimmyRig almost ready to begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project JimmyRig almost ready to begin.

plan A ,

I scored a set of 1 ton Dodge axles ( I'm not going to get into the whole ball joint / unit bearing vs. King pin issue , I don't care which is stronger, the axles were free and that means they kick the **** out of a $1200.00 King Pin axle )
    This is going to be a very very low budget 1 ton project that I hope to be able to drive to Ky, wheel , and then drive home ...... :confused: well maybe not !!!! but you know what I mean ....

1999 GMC Jimmy 2 dr 4x4 ( the little ***** in my avatar ) $600.00 out of pocket , with an under 5k mile 4.3 crate motor.

Going to order a set of 37" military goodyears and hummer beadlocks from 406YJ on Pirate4x4 - $588.00 to my front door for all.

$600.00
    +$588.00

$1438.00

I'm going SOA with stock Jimmy springs in the rear and maybe an extra leaf or two from the pile of springs that I have been hanging on to.

Front will be SOA also , was going to go coils but for a whole bunch of reasons I'm going to stick with leafs up front . going to try stock YJs , but may go with XJ's , pushing the axle foward about 6" and running an Astro van steering box .
    Will be running hydro assist , built with tapped box and Surplus Center ram and fix'ns.

I'm stuck on a transfer case at this point , I'm drivers drop so I'm trying to research what will mate to my trans. May go with a 231C

Plan is to get everything gathered up in the next month and knock it out in a long week end and be ready to wheel before summer.

Plan B ,

I have a buddy searching the Co-parts auctions (Walton Ky and Columbus Oh) for a S-10 or Sonoma ext. cab that has been hit in the rear hard ( so it's cheap) or a 4 door S-10 ( I know , I know they are fairly rare ) but the cool factor would be through the roof !
    Cut the rear frame off tube it out and dove tail it with the 1 tons and run at least 39.5's .

If I do the Jimmy and then find a truck I can go to the bone yard and grab some Jeep stockers and throw under her in an afternoon run my 32's and keep it a DD.

Stay tuned for the build,,,,, and or buildsssss

Ok just noticed that this is post # 1000 ........ Ha post padding

Comment

I've usually got an extra spot on the gooseneck if you don't want to drive it to the trail

Good luck with the build, let me know if you need any help

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
        ...from 406YJ on Pirate4x4...
        I've bought some things from him... was a nice experience.

...that has been hit in the rear hard...
        For a second, thought you were talking about CW.

Can't wait for this round to begin.... you'll still beat me to the trail...
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirbyiv View Post
          I've usually got an extra spot on the gooseneck if you don't want to drive it to the trail

Good luck with the build, let me know if you need any help
          really? you give my spot away that quick?

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
            really? you give my spot away that quick?
            i said *usually*. Gotta give first spot to the Co-Pilot ;)

Comment

I don't think i wanna ride on your crappy trailer anymore anyways... psh!

Comment

Moving back on topic " Fags ! " ,

I now have my gears for the 60's and 4 12 bolt Hummer bead locks with 5 37" Goodyears sitting in the garage . Getting ready to order some of brackets and what nots that I don't feel like wasting time DIYing. The build may start rolling this week end ...

here's a treaser , I think it will be alot taller then this but the floor jack is only so tall

I see alot of trimming in my future ....

Comment

Looking good! What will the wheelbase be? Making it streetable or offroad only?
                  sigpic

Comment

Don't have a clue what the wheel base will end up at , will find out when everything clears.
                    Plan is to keep it streetable , thats why I'm going with Radial 37's

It will be locked in the rear and I'm still debating on locking the front.

Prolly have to recenter the H1's and I'm def. looking at rock rings

Once I get the axles under her I'm gonna build front and rear bumpers, rocker protection and a nice flat belly.

I have several different sets of leafs I'm going to be trying but I will probably end up with Dakota leafs in the front stockers in the rear with a possible extra leaf or two.

Comment

I would find dodge ram front dually wheel spacers but you may not need them if you keep things out of the way. 3.5" spacers one each side will put you at about 92" with those rims.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                        I would find dodge ram front dually wheel spacers but you may not need them if you keep things out of the way. 3.5" spacers one each side will put you at about 92" with those rims.
                        just hauled a set of those out for scrap steel about 2 hours ago....
                        zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Getting off to a slow start , gotta get the honey do list done for spring and then I hope to really get moving . Yesterday I got the axles all cleaned up stripped and ready for new brackets . I do not know what I did with out a plasma cutter ....... zipped everything right off the axles and then hit'em with the grinder and done !!!!! sure beats a cut off wheel ....

Comment

Screw ya'll and your plasma cutters:p

In all seriousness, I want to find one to fall gently out of a truck into my garage. If that actually happens, look out for me to win the lottery, too.

Good start, it will be nice to wheel in hardtop comfort when it is winter.
                            1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                            FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                            5.14 tcase
                            36" TSL SX

Comment

...gotta get the honey do list done for spring and then I hope to really get moving...
                              Thats what I said 3 years ago... :o

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
                              Screw ya'll and your plasma cutters:p
                              right there with you HSH... I just have several grinders with specialized jobs.... 1/16" "razor" cutoff, 1/8" or 1/4" shape, flap-wheel fine-tune/shape, wire wheel weld cleaner... wow, I have 4 grinders floating around...

Sarge, you ever figure out the tcase? Those axles look to be in goooood shape... nice find for $000.00 (that's not the Central Axle Disconnect Dodge variety... is it??)
                              brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                              Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X