No announcement yet.

Project JimmyRig almost ready to begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets just say j hooks are the same as u-bolts.

Sorry Sarge had to drop a hint.
    78 CJ-7, 350 V8, T-18a Tranny, Twin Stick Dana 300, Scout 44's, 4.27 Gears, 36" TSL's, Welded rear and Full Spool Front, Hi-Steer with GM Knuckles

Comment

OK . I could not find the correct u-bolts for the rear at any local stores and it was to late to drive to a spring shop . I had to get the Jimmy out of the garage so my mom and dad could have a garage sale during the Great Trenton garage sale week end . I ended up cutting a set of used u-bolts in half and welded some pieces of all thread to the now J- bolts . I used two side and cranked them down tight ........ I thought I backed out of the garage very very carefully and got to the end of the driveway and BANG !

The rear didn't come completely out from under the rig but almost . The big problem was it happened about 1:30 in the morning and all the neighbors had their windows open. It took till around 2:30 to get the rear end back in place

So it sits beside the house with ratchet straps holding the rear in .

I will be using a tow truck to get it back in the garage tomorrow ,

I called Copperhead Sat. morning and got the " oh your parts are in the mail " line of BS. so we'll see how much longer I will have to wait .

Going to drive down to Brieghton(SP?) Spring when I get off work tomorrow and get u-bolts ... I hope .

Comment

They have treated me well. They even stayed after hours so that I could have my parts that day.
        1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
        5.14 tcase
        36" TSL SX

Comment

Brighton spring rules, been going to them for years. i used to use the one downtown but now there is one in walton out here by me.

Comment

Yep ! I have no complaints on Brighton , always had just what I needed !
            But saying that probably just killed my afternoon .........." as I knock on wood !"

Comment

Yeah Brighton is a good group of guys. They usually throw the spring clips in for free for me
              88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

hit Brighton the other day and and they stayed open later to make my u-bolts and then hooked me up with no tax .....cash deal .... Hell of a company .

Centers came in yesterday afternoon and I quickly prepped them and welded them in ..... only having to make a bonzi run to TSC at 10 till 8:00 for another spool of welding wire got them all painted up and put together and even got them mounted on the rig . Pics coming soon . Still have to french in the shackle hangers on the front and final weld the perches , hope to be driving it this time tomorrow.

The Centers looked good , I guess all the Carwash Pirate bashing forced QC to step it up.

Comment

so how long till you are wheeling?
                  zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
                    so how long till you are wheeling?

Hopefully a week or so. Got it drivable ( 2wd ) no front DS yet. I had a bad wheel bearing and ended upstripping the threads off the stub shaft on the passenger front :mad: :mad: Murphy's Law

The light shined on me last night . craigslist came through and I got another complete front 60 for $100.00

it has new rotors , calipers and wheel bearing ....... but the Axle it broke in half .... no **** !!!! it was in a 1 ton cummins truck that hit a culvet and snapped the passenger side axle tube off right at the pumpkin and bent the inner axle shaft to about a 45* angle.

The rest of the axle is great ! So now I have a bunch of spare parts......

Anyway I have to put up a drive way mall crawler pic , sorry it's a crappy cell pic.

This one is my " It's a GMC thang ! ...... you wouldn't understand ! " pic :
                    oh and don't look at the tie rod in this one, I was in a hurry and didn't notice I put it kinda over and under until after I took the picture .....

Comment

look out there's a cruiser behind you.......
                      01 TJ

Comment

Damn Trenton cops everywhere.

Looks good Mike, nice and wide. Those the 37's?

Mightg need some bigger meat soon.:)
                        88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

Comment

yeah ! I just can't seem to go anywhere with out the Trenton poe poe finding me !!!

My plan is to run the 37's this year and then step up to at least 38.5's next spring .

Shooting for woods test this week end , got front end parts switched out today still have to play with a few adjustments , test drive tonight was better but not good enough .....

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
                            yeah ! I just can't seem to go anywhere with out the Trenton poe poe finding me !!!

My plan is to run the 37's this year and then step up to at least 38.5's next spring .

Shooting for woods test this week end , got front end parts switched out today still have to play with a few adjustments , test drive tonight was better but not good enough .....
                            I believe you are heading to your local spot?

Are those 37's 16.5's?

What you still need to fix on the drive?

Comment

Originally posted by RuffedUpXJ View Post
                              I believe you are heading to your local spot?

Are those 37's 16.5's?

What you still need to fix on the drive?
                              Yes they are 16.5's with hummer H1's recentered w/ 3" BS .

Things that have to be done before it wheels :

Front drive shaft

Exhaust run

Cross member clearanced

Going to take some angles off a stock Dodge truck today and then compare it to mine . I think I have to much pinion angle and it is causing my problems.

No bump steer at all , just all over the road and hard to control at any speed .

Things that will get done later as time will allow:

Front and rear bumpers

Rock rails

lights- auxillary and rock

flat belly skid

Comment

wha'ts your caster set at?
                                zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X