Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carwash Crawler - Build Thread... again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the bottom of the tank area is a piece of tube coming up. On top of this tube is a piece of 1” v-thread welded through a 1.75x.375 spacer. This threaded rod comes up through the 2x2 stock, and is clamped down with a giant wing-nut type thing.

The tanks are brace at the top at three points on each tank, 2” across, and in roughly a triangle shape for even pressure. I cranked the nut on pretty hard to try and crack them, but couldn’t get them to budge. Some good plastic I guess. The threaded rod is held laterally in place by two braces coming from the two bars going across the back of the chassis.

Still need to cap the ends of the square stock, and put on down tabs for the aluminum tops. Still rolling around in my mind if I want to make a bar going around these tanks in the rear. I think they are safe, but peace of mind is a good thing I guess, better safe than sorry.

Comment

• The tank supports and holding mechanism really look beefy!
      sigpic

Comment

• Nice looking rig CW... I still vote for bar around the tanks.
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
          Nice looking rig CW... I still vote for bar around the tanks.
          it will happen, dont worry.

Comment

• Keep on adding the weight don't ya? How about some aluminum, titanium or magnesium even? :( I am worried about the buggy being able to hang with my small block on the trails.
            sigpic

Comment

• yeah, i'm pretty sure this extra 30-40 pounds of steel is gonna push my 6000 pound rig right over the top... what was i thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                Keep on adding the weight don't ya? How about some aluminum, titanium or magnesium even? :( I am worried about the buggy being able to hang with my small block on the trails.
                I'd love to see the skid plates magnesium... then we could see how much bashing they could take before transforming into a white hot ball of flames, right before the "Boiling Liquid Exanding Vapor Explosion."

Good times...

;)
                brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

• i will leave the magnesium for your rig... i already have enough fear of an LPG explosion, i don't need to have 2 fears in the back of my mind at all times.

Comment

• I saw where someone on Pirate plumbed in a fitting for a 2lb camp stove bottle of propane just in case he ran out, had a bad seal, or it froze up on him. He claimed he could get 20-30 minutes of ride time to get back to camp. I believe it was on a 4cyl toyota though.

Paul

Comment

• i have read a few things about that paul, about being able to run a grill tank, whether large bbq or small coleman type... either way, those tanks have limiters that control the free flow of the contents. Also, has to be run upside down so that you get liquid. Grills run on the gas, while most auto setups run liquid to the front where it is turned into vapor before going into the intake.

so, i think it was a 4 cylinder, and if i recall, he couldnt get very high rpms even with that due to the lack of flow. anything to get back to camp tho, that's for sure... knock on wood.

Comment

• Looking good, carwash!!! Great progress....
                        I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

• Is it too late to up my weight estimate ^^^^^^^^

Comment

• never too late... hasn't hit the scales yet....

add 20 pounds for paint as well... ha!

Comment

• Here are a couple shots of the ends of the tank mounts, capped and smoothed with sections of curved tubing to make it less blocky. Also you can see some side supports i added to the vertical bar to make it stronger side to side.

Comment

• is this thing on?

Comment

Working...
                                X