Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carwash Crawler - Build Thread... again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Mike.
    Have you give up on this project yet? been 4 days with no updates
    Hurry up and lets go break something.

Comment

• spent the night tonight installing my banks stuff...

six gun w/ pda
      monster dual exhaust
      cold air box
      etc...

fun.

Comment

• ok, few more pics... here are some shots of the sides completely done 9minus footholes) and bolted on, including the rear curves... I think it looks pretty damn good... i'm happy.

Comment

• couple shots of the panels under the rear seat. these sucked royally to make...

And here are a couple different angle shots of the propane tank mounts in case anyone was interested.

Comment

• Some folks have been asking what i cut all of the panels with...

I bought this ridiculously bad ass Milwaukee circular saw for metal. has a chip collector, and cuts thru .125 aluminum like it's not even there. Straight as an arrow, looks as good as a machine shear.

For the curves i am using a standard jig saw with a coarse wood-cutting blade in it. Works like a charm.

Comment

• sick sick sick

Comment

• Originally posted by Coby View Post
                sick sick sick
                Thanks for all the help, my little mexican.

Comment

Comment

• done yet?
                    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

• Thanks for the reminder of how slow i am at building this thing. I have moved my shop back to my home shop, and spent two weeks doing that.

Oddly enough, i did some work on it today, and will be heading back out in a little bit to do some more.

No, not done. Won't be for a while.

Comment

• Well, being without a job has given me a lot of time to work on this damn rig... Idle hands are the tool of the devil.

I put some catch cans, or curved plates more than cans i guess. I wanted to attach these since my bumps hit my links, and the links have some movement left and right under articulation. These will allow the bump to still hit a surface when this happens.

I just hope that welding these on won't weaken these links too much. but then again, i see all kinds of comp rigs etc that have the air shock mounts etc welded to this link, and that is a lot more stress than this bump will be.

Comment

• finally finished the dash and all the floor panels. what a *****. got pretty good by the end, figuring out which way to bend and break the plates. I will tell you i will never again use round tubing to do the trans/tcase tunnel. Square tubing would have made it so much easier.

some might say im overkill with so many tabs and 3/8 bolts, but it's what i had, and wanted all the tabs everywhere to be the same. What the large amount are for more than anything is to keep the sound and buzzing down.

And i never thought hood pins would have been such a ridiculous pain in the ass...

Comment

• And now starts the tear-down for final welding. I can only dream that it will go back together as quick... hahhah.

Here are some shots of the rig at full compression. Took off the air shocks, and the bumps are sitting at full compression on their pads. Clearance is pretty damn tight in a couple areas, mainly with the rotors and chassis. But even with jumping up and down on it really hard with my full fat ass weight, i can't get them to hit, so all should be good to go I guess.

Starts to look funny as an empty carcass again. All that's left to remove is the axles and links, and i will be welding for 2 days straight or so.

More to come soon. Recruited my daughter to screw bolts into all the tabs so that they don't get a bunch of weld spatter in them. I'd rather waste a few bolts than have to run a tap through every tab.

Comment

• Looks good Mike , So what is your plan of attack ? You gonna start at one corner and work( weld ) your way all the way around or something else . I know I always seem to forget a weld and don't catch it until paint

Comment

• Holy hell that floor had to take forever! I took the lazy way out and just put panels for my firewall, trans tunnel, and where my feet go. Everything under the seats back is open,lol! And Hood pins are a stupid PITA. Nice work on everything!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X