Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carwash Crawler - Build Thread... again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are ya finished yet? Bringin it to the core event? I would like to see it!
    sigpic

Comment

• Ok, due to popular demand, i put some extra support around the tanks. This should take care of any possible issue on a rear endover...

Lines up well with the angle of the line of the back of the chassis. Came out very well i think.

I wasn't excited about adding this as i was afraid it would kill the lines of the back of the chassis. But, after seeing how it turned out, i'm happy with it.

Comment

• ok, started all my panels... man, what a time consuming ***** pain in the ass this has been... but, very rewarding. With each one i add, it looks more like a completed rig and gets me all giddy to get it done.

Some will say i'm going WAY OVERKILL, but I am using .125 5052 aluminum for all the panels. It is much harder to bend / break, but safer when it comes to things like keeping driveshafts out of the interior compartment, etc.

The interior floor panels were especially difficult with all the seatbelt and seat mount tabs etc to cut out for. And the ones that i have left to do on the inside require some tig work and multi plane breaks, etc.

Comment

• exterior panels can chew up some sheets of aluminum in a hurry, that's for sure... and at $200 each for a 4x8 sheet, it hurts.

Here is the rear inner panel, with my super fancy "fuel level indicator" cutout. With the see thru tanks, i will be able to look into this cut and see the level of pane in my tanks.

I forgot to do it to the passenger side before putting it on, will get it when i disassemble i guess.

Comment

• The top plates in the back really add a finished look to it.

I guess i get a little overzealous with the tabs and bolts, since they are 3/8. Probably dont need half as many as i'm putting in. But i hate panels that rattle, and everything else is so overkill on this rig there is no reason to stop now.

Comment

• And the most stressful panels to cut, the sides... since the tow of them eat up most of a whole sheet of plate, i measured 38 times and cut once. Putting these panels on have put a new drive to finish this rig. Standing back and seeing it take actual shape changes things.

Comment

• And the "piece de resistence", the finishing curve rear panel... finishes the rear nicely. Was gonna leave them off, but now that i see them there, can't imagine it without them.

Now, decision; do i paint the flat panel behind this curved panel, or leave it raw aluminum so that the panel in front stands out more...? opinions?

Comment

• Have to do the other side panel, and drill and bolt them both. Then the very rear panel, the bottom side of the third seat, bellhousing tunnel, and tcase cover area.

Some of the tcase area isn't going to be pretty, but it will be covered with seats, so not really concerned about it.

Comment

• very nice....
                    step cutout?
                    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

• marked for, not cut yet (obviously)... without it, would be a difficult entry.

Comment

• Startin to look like ole truggy!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                          Startin to look like ole truggy!
                          i can't even think of anything to say...

Comment

• Scott, did you ever buy a rig yet?
                            For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

• Looks good CW. The panels to clean things up and make it look more complete. The tons of time you spent on the panels are paying off they look good.
                              88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

• Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                                Startin to look like ole truggy!
                                What are you smoking?

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Working...
                                X