No announcement yet.

Need some help with my YJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I swear if it's a starter issue I'm going to be the happiest bastard alive. lol I guess I've just prepared myself for the worst. Well, where it's sitting right now it won't start. So if I pull it there should be damage on the flywheel visibly if it is in fact the flywheel.
    Last edited by 87yjinCincy; 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM.

Comment

pull that starter, keep us posted.

Comment

Will do. You'll be hearing from me again in about 2.5 hours. lol

Comment

Recently I've attempted to purchase a starter for a 91 Toyota Camry & a 93 Plymoh Voyager from Advance Auto Parts. Both times the starters they sold me were THE WRONG STARTERS for the vehicles, even though that's what was listed for the vehicle in their computers.

Both times I've had to take the OEM starters off and get the part numbers to cross reference, then the "new" starters worked fine.

I could definitely see a replacement starter being the incorrect one for the vehicle & causing a noise like this. If you have the correct starter/flywheel on your vehicle, then you really shouldn't need shims if it didn't have them on the starter that was taken off, because the replacement should be the exact same dimensions.

Comment

Well guys, here are pics of the carnage. I believe I need to replace a flywheel.

Last edited by 87yjinCincy; 08-23-2007, 08:28 AM.

Comment

bummer... that stinks...

most important, what caused it to happen? was it a mis-installed starter? how were the bolts when took it out? tight?

Comment

Yeah I forgot to add that part. The one lower bolt was finger loose. I took it out with my fingers. The upper bolt was tight. So yeah, the guy didn't tighten the bolt down so I'd say that's probably the culprit. I hope anyway. Well, it looks like I'm going to yank the engine out this weekend and get to work on it. Hopefully I have it done soon. I really need a car to drive. I'm not liking having to use my g/f's car. lol I have a show car but it sits in the garage and can't drive it everyday. A lot of good that damn thing does.

Comment

So I get on Advance Auto Parts and Autzone's websites. Each site is showing a different part that goes to my car. lol That helps. Here they are. The first one is from Advance. The 2nd from Autozone.

Can anyone tell me which is the correct one?

Comment

hmmm, hard to tell. one might be specific, and the other might be multiple applications. best way is to have yours in hand when you buy it.

you are pulling the engine, as opposed to the tranny?

Comment

Yeah. I've heard from multiple people that it's easier to pull the engine rather than tranny. One big reason is pulling the engine, you'll be standing up quite a bit. Pulling the tranny and you are on your back most of the time and it's a pain in the nuts to get that heavy ass thing out from underneath. So I'd rather pull the engine. lol

Comment

Tranny will be in and out in a couple hours. Engine will probably take a weekend then another weekend to find that sensor you forgot to hook up. The one on the left almost looks like a flex plate to me. I say go to a KOI. better service from my experience
                        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

yes, i cant imagine pulling a motor to do this job... that's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by 87yjinCincy View Post
                            I have a show car but it sits in the garage and can't drive it everyday. A lot of good that damn thing does.

What's your show car?
                            I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

The tranny just seems like a pain to do on the ground. It probably weighs a ton. If I could get someone to give me a hand that's pulled the tranny before, I'd much rather do it that way. But not knowing how to do this, I feel more comfortable pulling the motor. I've done a few motors on the newer cars and it went well and this looks quite a bit easier than those. So if anyone wants to help let me know. lol I'll hook you up with whatever you need.
                              Oh I have a Scion xB show car. Yeah I'm gettin kinda tired of it so it's up for sale now.

Comment

Ok, does anyone know if the bolts for the flywheel on this thing are one-time-use bolts? A friend of mine told me a lot of cars used these and that I'd need to check and see if mine were. Anyone have any idea?

Comment

Working...
                                X