No announcement yet.

BlueOx build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

longfield has great rep. so i sure they are, and they cheaper then superjoints or nitros. they redid them also so only got 1 fitting instead 4 to grease.
    SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRAM View Post
      That was for you, the truck went from street to hard C.O.R.E. in a flash!
      Where is that majic dust at?
      I wish I would have had some magic dust. I started my rig in 2008 and finally got it the way I want it last summer. I couldn't get the front exo to look right around the stock fenders, so I left it off for a few years. Last summer I decided the only way to make it look right was to cut the front end off and tube it. Sure is easier to work on the engine now.

Originally posted by BillysGruff View Post
      Are these worth it?
      I have stock Dana joints in mine and have yet to break one. If I were to break one, I would probably go to a better joint.

Comment

Well, I met up with Scott and Rob, and they are some good dudes. The red Jeep is badass too. Scott said the caliper brackets are done! Cant wait to pick them up. Instead of opening the bore on the bracket, he decided it would be better to turn down the spindle such that it'll fit nice'n'snug into the caliper bracket. So for those guys.

I do have a question though...
        Is this the right PN for a Detroit? 225SL29A
        I'm getting pretty close to finishing the bumper. After many grinding and checking attempts, I was finally able to get all the tubes to fit. They are currently just tack'd together. I need to add the inner 'webbing' pieces, so that'll be another 500x grind/check session. I'm sure using a hole saw+vise is easier, but this is the first time for me, so, so be it.

Also, parts are rollin' in, hooray for tax time. I'm waiting on Ruffstuff heims. Next to purchase is a master rebuild kit from a friend in C-bus, gears, and the Detroit. 4wd factory has an April sale going on now too. I could get that thing for cheap right now. Well cheap in the 'offroad' world.

Last edited by BillysGruff; 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Bumper progress

Comment

Still alotta work left on the bumper, grinding, flapping, strengthening, and on and on...

Here's what Scott and Rob did for me. I'm freakin stoked!

They fit great!

Comment

I've read that the best way to remove the lower cap is to get it to rotate about the knuckle, and then punch it down.

Issuck, as the daughter would say. (It's stuck.)

Comment

I've read that the best way to remove the lower cap is to get it to rotate about the knuckle, and then punch it down.

Issuck, as the daughter would say. (It's stuck.)
                I'm getting ready to change my knuckles. I'd say the lower caps have been on there for 34 years.

Comment

I read that, did something break? Its crazy to think I'm working on something thats 2 years older than I.

Comment

I developed a crack on the driver knuckle in Harlan. Time to upgrade.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Comment

Since I was replacing all the lower pieces, I used a punch from the top and pushed it out. One side came out 3rd hit, the other side sucked bad. I used anti seize to make sure they come out next time.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                        Since I was replacing all the lower pieces, I used a punch from the top and pushed it out. One side came out 3rd hit, the other side sucked bad. I used anti seize to make sure they come out next time.
                        Good to know. I got mine out the day after I posted that pic. I had to hit it from the top, rotate it, and from the sides. The bearing race was easier to get out, IMO.

I'm moving along with suspension parts, and need to take some pics.

Comment

Suspension bracketry coming along, only have holes drilled on one side of four from where the shackle will hang. Bits dulled on me.

ARP studs that I thought I was supposed to get as a packaged deal from a guy on PBB for the HSA's, but ah well. Also got a Detroit from a good dude here in town. He said the bearings are fairly new, they look good to me so I'm going to run 'em. My guess it that he's a member on here, but I didnt ask for some reason. Said he has a tube buggy and a '79 HPD60 that he switched out for a spool. For $300, its a win for me! I Also have G2 4.88 gears coming, and a good friend in C-bus has a master install kit for me.

Also, really good bumper progress. I got all the ends capped, fixed the d-side stickingouttoofar issue, and created two gussets on either side (if you will). Next for this is to make the roller fair lead plate and weld that on, then 60 grit flap wheel and paint.

Last edited by BillysGruff; 05-14-2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Last edited by BillysGruff; 08-09-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Just a small update...

I gave myself 2" of overhang with the front x-member and the frame rails. I'm going to weld some vertical pieces such that they sit flush against outside of the frame rails and on the top of the x-member. I'll then drill holes through these plates and rosette weld them on, plus gusset between the x-member and new plate. And I need to get longer hanger and shackles bolts.

Comment

Got the gears going. Check out these patterns and stats and let me know what you guys think. These are 4.88's.

RGS: .056
                                NRGS: .043
                                BL: .004, I'll loosen them up a bit, but how much shim should I take out of RGS and add to NRGS?
                                OP: .046 w/~20in/lbs
                                IP: .007 over existing; .015" over existing yields the drive side pattern towards the toe, centered root to flank, and coast side as a centered half moon, meaning it was too much shim. I'll try .012" over next time.

Coast:

Drive:

Drive, the last one appears almost rhombus like in shape:
                                Last edited by BillysGruff; 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X