No announcement yet.

BlueOx build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a panhard bar (track bar) and no sway bar on mine. Why shouldn't it be on a leaf spring vehicle? All factory leaf sprung trucks that I know of had a track bar if they were setup with a side to side steering linkage (mostly Fords). The Chevy and Dodge trucks that had the front-back type steering linkage did not use a track bar since there was no side loading from the steering.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffle
      Sounds like your thinking of adding a swaybar. I'd consider a Currie Antirock or another brands similar model. They're expensive though. A panhard rod is just a link used to center the axle to the vehicle.
      I'm not a fan. I considered modifying my stock one, but then realized its not really necessary.

Originally posted by Ky Mudhunter View Post
      Ok. I thougt there might be a reason you mounted it like you did.

The panhard bar did not help with the body roll much but it did make the steering feel a lot tighter, especially on curvy roads where you are steering back and forth. I do take it off when wheelin' because it makes the suspension bind when it flexes.

Yes I still have the CAD files of my brackets. My draglink is at about 8 degrees and my axle is D44 so they may not fit perfectly on the D60. I think the only difference is that the axle bracket may need to be a little taller. Do you have any software to view CAD files? If so, what software is it?
      Ok, good to know it helped with curvy roads. I notice it most when on my these types of roads. There's a ton in b/t my house and the river, and the truck gets squirrely sometimes. And I dont need to see the files, was just curious what your measurements were, just to get a baseline. I dont want the axle bracket to be too tall and slamming into things when pass side is fully bumped.
      I have a panhard bar (track bar) and no sway bar on mine. Why shouldn't it be on a leaf spring vehicle? All factory leaf sprung trucks that I know of had a track bar if they were setup with a side to side steering linkage (mostly Fords). The Chevy and Dodge trucks that had the front-back type steering linkage did not use a track bar since there was no side loading from the steering.

Comment

For strictly off road the track bar is not needed. I only added it to mine for the street since it was my daily driver back when I first built it. It definitely makes the street handling better. I still drive the truck to work sometimes so I just take the track bar on and off as needed.

Comment

For strictly off road the track bar is not needed. I only added it to mine for the street since it was my daily driver back when I first built it. It definitely makes the street handling better. I still drive the truck to work sometimes so I just take the track bar on and off as needed.
          So how 'bout those measurements....

Comment

What measurements are you wanting to compare? Let me know and I'll try to get them for you tonight once I get the kids to sleep.

Comment

I was looking for the height from center of the axle to bolt hole, and the vert sep b/t the bottom of the frame and the other bolt hole.

Does anybody have an RTI ramp? I could probably find some steep drop offs somewhere....I need to measure for a front dshaft. So that and 241 seals/bushings/flange swap will happen soon.

Comment

Center of axle to Bolt hole is about 6" and center of the same bolt hole to my crossmember is about 4.5" at ride height.

Comment

Millions and millions of leaf spring vehicles came out of the factory with track bars. The YJ Wrangler and the older leaf spring Super Duty trucks are the best examples. The need for the track bar on leaf springs comes from using softer and longer springs that provide a better ride, but they also allow a lot side-to-side movement which leads to sloppy handling. You don't see them on many older vehicle because they used stiffer leaf springs and there wasn't as much expectation to cruise 80 mph down the freeway in an old CJ-5 or Ford Highboy with two fingers on the steering wheel.

Comment

Anybody work at a warehouse where I could use a forklift to determine lengths for my front driveshaft?

Comment

Don't know if this helps you or not but here is how I have checked mine (also for checking tire clearance). I take all of the leaf springs out except the main leaf, then reassemble the axle to the main leaf. This way I can flex it with "little" force. I usually just use a floor jack to flex everything.

Comment

Thats cool, unfortunately the floor jack method doesnt work for me. I dont have enough jack to max the suspension out. Not really a bad thing....

I have a 1 ton cherry picker, but am a little nervous about using it for this.

Comment

Yeah, I was lucky that one of my jacks came with an extension you can put on in place of the typical pad so that I can get some additional height.

Comment

Have I seen this truck running around Anderson? Live on salem?
                            91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                              Have I seen this truck running around Anderson? Live on salem?
                              Yes Hopefully I wasnt doing anything stupid, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BillysGruff View Post
                                Yes Hopefully I wasnt doing anything stupid, lol.
                                My mom lives next to the fire house and I work in Anderson. I see it all the time
                                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X